Chapter Forty-Two

"What ride do you want to do?" Devin asks me. I look around. We've already done just about every ride. This has been the best birthday by far, all thanks to Devin.

"Why don't we get something to eat? I'm hungry," I tell him. He nods. We get a hot greasy pizza and two huge sodas. We sit down at a table. I scarf down a couple peices. I smile at Devin. "Thank you," I say. Devin looks up.

"For what?" he asks me.

"For giving me a great birthday," I say. He nods.

"It's the least that I could do," Devin tells me. We finish eating.

"Well, I think I'm ready to leave. We both have to get ready for that party of yours," I tell him. He nods. He throws out stuff away and then buys me cotton candy before we walk to his car. "So, um, how many people did you invite to the party?" I ask him.

He rubs the back of his neck, a sign of something that's not good. "Oh, you know. Just a couple," he says.

"Devin! Who did you invite?" I ask him.

"Just like a couple of my boys from the football team," Devin says.

"Like Gabe and Matt and Ryan?" All of the guys on his football team are complete assholes.

"And TJ, Mason, Caden, Eli, Oliver and they maybe all invited their girlfriends," he says. I groan.

"Please don't tell me that TJ's still dating Aubrey," I say. He shakes his head.

"No, he isn't but Mason is. And do you remember Yogurt Lab girl? Well she's dating Eli now," he says.

"Fuck! How do you keep up on all of that shit? But it's your funeral. They're going to trash your brother's apartment and you're going to pay-probably in flesh," I tell him. He shrugs. "Did you get enough booze to feed their addiction?" I ask.

"Who buys booze for a party these days? Kids bring their own shit. But yes, I did get some," Devin says. He shoots me a side glance.

"Did you invite Alex?" I ask him.

"Who?" He actually looks like he doesn't know.

"Alex, my other friend. Blonde hair, brown eyes...ring a bell?" I ask him.

"Oh, yeah. That guy with the pretentious smile," Devin says. I hit his arm.

"Do you even know what pretentious means?" I ask him. He nods. He pulls up at my house. "Thank you. I had a really great time. See you later," I say as I hop out of the car. I wave to him and walk to my house. I say hi to my parents and then walk upstairs.

I throw my stuff on the bed and then lay out my outfit. I turn on the shower and then wash my hair and my body. I use a lot of the really nice smelling soap. Once I'm done I blow dry my hair and then walk back to my room. I get dressed and sit in front of my mirror.

I do eyeliner and put a silver eyeshadow behind it. I also do mascara and then do a light lipgloss. I have high heels that I could wear but instead I grab my sneakers. I also grab a sweatshirt. I walk downstairs. "Bye Mom, bye Dad! I'm going to Devin's! Love you!" I yell to them I grab my car keys and then follow the directions to Nick and Theo's apartment. It's around ten or eleven when I get there. I took a little nap before my shower.

"Oh, shit," I mutter once I get to the apartment. I can hear the music. I walk in and take the elevator up to the seventh floor. I push open the door, which is unlocked. The music is blaring from speakers. But that's not the only thing that's assaulting my senses. The smell of alcohol hinted with weed is thick in the air. There's a whole lot of people are crammed into this hellhole. There's also lots of red cups and beer bottles and cans.