Chapter Forty-Three

"Time to get up!" I yell as loud as I can as I rip open the curtains. I've been up for a couple of hours and Devin's still sleeping. Sunlight pierces the air and I rip the covers off of the bed. Devin has his head buried under a pillow. "Devin time to get up!" I yell again. I take the pillows off the bed. He groans and doesn't get up.

"Fine, you wanna play that game? Fine. I really hope Theo loves your brother enough to stop him from killing you and then going to jail," I say.

"What are you talking about?" Devin asks. His voice is muffled.

"I'm calling your brother," I say as I grab my phone and punch in Nick's number. "Hey Nick! This is Riley. I was just calling to tell you that Devin-" Devin knocks the phone out of my hand and presses end call. "Yeah, that's what I thought," I say. Devin gives me the stink eye.

He walks over and shuts the curtains. And then pulls the blanket back on the bed and crawls under it. "What the fuck are you doing? You're helping me to clean this place up," I tell him.

"Come under the fort," Devin says. I frown but crawl under. He has one arm throw over his face and the other one draped over his torso. "Babes, so you have to understand something about last night-" he starts. I cut him off.

"What the hell is there to understand? You got drunk and passed out and then left me to get those fucking terrible people-

"Hey! They're my friends-"

"And you left me to get those god awful people out of your brother's apartment and then you left me to clean up your goddamn house," I finish.

"I'm sorry," Devin says.

"Oh, your sorry? You should be kissing my ass or licking my shoes right now. That's how thankful you should be," I tell him.

"Well, do you want me to do that? Kiss your ass or lick your shoes?" he asks me.

"No." Yes.

"Just thought I'd volunteer. Can I continue now?" Devin asks. I nod. "Okay, so I know that I'm a total dipshit and I know that I fucked up, but I'm sorry." He looks at me with this expression that makes my anger just dissolve into thin air. Damn it!

"I'm not perfect and I can't do everything right. Do you forgive me?" he asks.

"Yeah," I mumble.

"Good," Devin says as he pulls me to his chest. "Let's sleep for a couple more hours." I can't seem to find the words to say that I shouldn't because it feels so good, so unbelievably good to be held by him.

And even though I shouldn't I shift closer to him and throw my leg over his. He tucks me more neatly into his chest and pretty soon his breathing is deep and even. I only slept for a couple of hours and it as a shallow kind of sleep where five hours feels like five minutes. And then when I woke up I went straight to throwing away all of the shit that I could find.

And then I got pissy and went to get Devin.

So, it doesn't take long for me to fall asleep.

Devin shakes me gently awake. "What?" I ask.

"You should get up, it's six. You and me have a date with cleaning lined up," he tells me. I nod and rub my eyes. I stand up and stretch.

"Is this your room?" I ask as I wander over to a dresser. "You wouldn't tell me last night. You weren't very coherent."

"Oh, um, yeah. Yeah, this is my room," he says scratching his neck. "So, what exactly did I say last night?"

I laugh and then say, "You must have been hopped up on some seriously weird shit. You told me that you had something that you had to tell me and then you said 'Riley, my Riley'." Devin blushes.