Chapter Thirty-Eight

I walk to my car and I find Alex leaning against it. I plaster a smile on my face. I can do this. I like Alex. Yeah, but you don't love him. You don't feel like you feel about Devin, a voice whispers in my mind. Shut up! I tell that voice. I focus on my attention on Alex. "Hey," I say.

"Hey, you ready?" he asks me. I nod. We slip into my car. I drive us to the theater. I buy my ticket and concessions. He buys his.

We walk into the theater and take seat towards the back. There seems to be a lot of young couples already making out. The movie hasn't even started yet.

"Hmm," Alex says. I laugh. He checks his ticket to make sure we're in the right place. "I never thought that mindless violence and gore would make a romantic backdrop," he says. I grin. I drink my slushie and wait for the movie to start. The lights dim and previews start to play. More couples file in and take seats and then immediately start to make out. "Ummm," he says.

"Yeah, let's just pretend that we didn't see anything," I say. Alex nods.

"Good plan, this is just a little bit weird. I've been to see plenty of action movies but I can't say that this has ever happened." Alex shifts uncomfortably.

"Can I have the popcorn?" I ask. He nods and passes it to me.

"Can I have the slushie?" he asks.

"I'm not sure if you've realized, but I don't share slushies. Do you remember when we went on that god awful double date with Devin and Caroline, and Devin and I fought over my slushie. I didn't lose," I remind him.

He starts laughing and then says, "Oh, yeah. I totally remember that. That was impressive, he's like a foot taller and a lot heavier than you but you held on." A girl turns around to glare at us.

"Shhh," she hisses.

"Really? You're the one that's been sucking face with your boyfriend so hard that I can hear it. I don't think I have to shut up," I say. I take a closer look at the boy that she's with and then add, "Or you're boyfriend's...best friend. You better run as fast as your little legs can carry you." I say the last part to the boyfriend.

The girl gasps and then chases after the boy as he storms out of the theater. I laugh. Messing with people is just too fun. I wish Devin would stop messing with me.

"You're horrible," Alex tells me. I shrug.

A security guard walks up to our row.

"If you two could please exit the theater," he says.

"Excuse me?" I ask him. "You must be mistaken. We haven't done anything wrong."

"Ma'am, please exit the theater, there have been complaints against you two," he says.

"Fine," I say. I grab my stuff and walk out, Alex following me. "This is ridiculous," I mutter.

"Yeah, so now what?" he asks. I shrug. "Do you want to get something to eat?"

"Sure, what are you in the mood for?" I ask him.

"I'm not sure, we can drive around and see what there is," he says, I nod and we get in my car.

We end up at a small Italian place. We split a pepperoni pizza. We laugh and talk and do all of the normal things that friends should do.

The things Devin and I used to do.

I miss him. Our friendship. Him.