Chapter Three

We walk into school and Devin seems to be in a better mood. I wait outside the entrance for Alex. Devin, of course, isn't with me, he mumbled some excuse about football. I glance down uncomfortably at my outfit, I went for a slightly tighter long sleeve, ripped jeans and of course my beat up sneakers. Alex walks up to me smiling.

"Hey Riley," he says. I grin.

"Hey Alex, you ready for this hellhole that we call high school?" I ask him, he grins. I can tell he's going to popular already, I should have known. Blonde hair, tan skin and a muscular build which pretty much equals popularity in high school. The girls are all staring at him.

"What is wrong with this damn locker?" Alex growls as he tries to get his locker open. He swears and hits it a couple of times. I smirk.

"Here, let me help you," I say. I hit the locker in the sweet spot and then jiggle the lock, the locker opens without a problem. Alex gapes at me.

"I think I might love you," he says as he hugs me. I hug him back and then let go. A girl walks up to him and runs a manicured finger down his arm.

"Need some help?" she asks. It's the girl from yesterday.

"No thanks, sugar. You keep on being sweet though," I say faking the same accent from yesterday. She glares at me and then walks away.

"What was that? Nice accent, by the way," he says grinning.

"Devin had a run in with her that was to say unexpected, I had to cover his ass," I say. He nods. "Can I see your schedule?"

He hands it to me. We have English, Science and Math together. Our high school is one of the ones that has five periods that are each an hour and fifteen minutes. I tell him that and then walk him to Math. He takes a seat next to me. All through the period girls glare at me and drool over him. He pauses me a note.

Why are they all staring at me?

I smirk and write: This has never happened to you before? They like you or at least think you're hot.

He passes it back to me. Do you think I'm hot?

I write: Why would I tell you? I don't want to feed your ego.

He writes: Ouch! Ouch! You're breaking my heart and my ego is most definitely bruised.

I laugh. "Something funny, Ms. Connor?" the teacher asks me.

"You know Mrs. Walter, I just realized that I really love Math. Numbers should be the new bible," I say. The class snickers.

"Thank Ms. Connor, for your unique view on numbers, now shall we get back to our lesson or would you like to continue preaching?" she says.

"You can continue, ma'am," I say. She nods and continues. Alex is hiding his laughter. Smooth, really smooth, his note reads. The bell rings and we walk out and

to Science. He again sits next to me.

"How long until lunch?" Alex asks me.

"After this we have English and then you have study hall and history," I tell him.

"So you don't have study hall or History with me?" he whispers to me. His breath tickles my neck and sends a small shiver through my body.

"I'm afraid I don't, now shut up before I-before we-get in trouble." He nods and the teacher drones on, I can't seem to hear what he's saying. The period ends and we walk to English. Lunch finally rolls around.

He gets in line and I walk over to where Devin's sitting. He looks better. "Hey babes," he says when he sees me.

"Hey, Dev. You better?" I ask. He nods.

"Thank you for last night, I needed you and you were there for me. I really don't deserve you," he says.

"Of course you do," I say. He shakes his head and opens his mouth, to say something but is cut off by Alex.

"Hey Riley, Devon. I hope you don't mind me sitting with you," Alex says. He knows that he's getting under Devin's skin. Devin's hands clench at his side.

"No we don't mind, it's Devin, not Devon," Devin says curtly.

"Alex, will you do me a favor and get me a coffee? Black please," I tell him. He nods and leaves. "Dev, you need to calm down, he's new. I know that you're upset but still," I tell him. He nods.

"Can you stay over again?" he asks. I nod and he sighs with relief. Alex walks back with my coffee.

"Thanks," I say shoving some money at him. He waves his hands.

"Keep it," Alex says. I nod and then I realize that Devin doesn't have anything to eat.

"Have you eaten anything?" I ask Devin. He shakes his head. "I'll be right back," I say and then get up and walk into the lunch line. I browse through the food nothing looking very good. My eyes land on a yogurt and granola, I grab that for Devin. The one girl is in line in front of me. She turns around to grab something and sees me. Her face turns sour. She grabs a yogurt and then throws it over me.

"Whoops, sorry!" she says, suppressing a laugh. Her friend starts laughing.

"Really bitch?" I ask as I throw a yogurt on them. I shove the one, the blonde one who I met yesterday, into the other one and they both go tumbling to the floor. I grab a meatloaf surprise from the kid behind me and me and dump it on them. "Whoops, sorry!" I say mimicking the one. Devin grabs me and throws me over his shoulder before I can do anything else. "I'll get you fucking whore's!" I yell as Devin carries me away. He walks with me into the girl's bathroom and locks the door, making sure that no one else is there.

"What was that?" he asks.

"Put me fucking down! Now!" I say as I hit his back. I hate that I'm a foot shorter than him. "Fine! She threw a yogurt at me, okay?"

"Really? You didn't do anything else?" he asks. I can tell he's narrowing his eyes suspiciously, even without looking at him.

"No! Wait, well, I don't know. I don't think I offended her," I say. He makes no effort to put me down. "She was the chick from yesterday, you know the Yogurt Lab chick? Anyways she came by Alex today and was all like 'can I help you?' and then started touching him and then I politely told her to go away. That's all I did. I just called her sugar in a southern accent, I didn't even swear!"

He puts me down. And then he starts laughing. I look at myself in the mirror; yogurt is all over my shirt and it's in my hair. It's also on Devin's back, where he had me on his shoulder. "That was some really funny shit back there. I took one look at your face and I knew exactly what you were going to do. The meatloaf surprise was a nice touch," Devin says laughing. "Oh, you have something here," he says as he wipes some yogurt from my lip. His thumb traces my lower lip for a second, so short I almost feel like I imagined it. I grin evilly.

"You have something here," I tell him. I wipe some of the yogurt from my shirt and slap it onto his cheek. He grabs a paper towel and wipes it off of his cheek and his shirt.

"Let's get you cleaned up," he says. I frown and look down at my shirt which seems to be a goner at this point. I take it off. I'm very thankful that I wore a thick strapped tank top under it.

"Could you wash my hair?" I ask him. He nods and then I put my hair in the skink. I'm hunched over it. I'm pretty sure my butt's high in the air, but it's just Devin. His hands gently run through my hair and work out the yogurt. It feels so nice that I have to bite back a moan. He runs his hands through my wet hair, the tenderness surprises me.

"Okay, I think you're done," he says. I try to comb my hair back down and then get some water out of it. Devin helps me dry my hair with paper towels. By the end of our "salon" my hair is mostly dry. I stare at Devin, his hair has grown out a little bit. It's still not too long. It actually looks kind of good.

"You need a haircut," I tell him as I ruffle his hair. He grabs my hand. "I have scissors." We both grin at each other.