Chapter Two

When I wake up I'm stretched out on my back with one arm over my head and the other arm over Devin. And Devin has his arms wrapped around me and his head buried in my stomach. "Yo, Dev," I say flicking his head, "my stomach a comfortable pillow?"

He grumbles something about going back to sleep. I hit him on the head once more and then let him go back to sleeping. He needs to sleep more. His parents are going through a rough phase and are teetering on the edge of divorce. They're always yelling at each other and sometimes at Devin. Needless to say, he doesn't get a lot of sleep. It's gotten so bad lately that he spends almost every night at my house.

Absentmindedly I stroke his hair. I look at my watch and it's 9:45. I smell my mom making one of her famous breakfasts. "Devin," I say shaking him gently, "my mom is making breakfast."

"What one?" he asks, his voice muffled by pillows.

"The pancake one," I tell him. He immediately shoots up.

"Why didn't you say anything? I would have been up like five minutes ago," he says. I roll my eyes and then stand up. I throw a shirt at him and then I put my arms over my head and stretch, rising slowly in my toes. I hear a satisfying crack and smile. Devin stares at me.

I stare back at him and then we walk downstairs. Mom set the table and has pancakes pulled high and a big plate of toast and a bowl filled with scrambled eggs. Devin and I both start digging in. He's gone through three pancakes by the time I've eaten one. I hit him in the stomach. "Don't be such a pig, remember to chew," I tell him.

He shoves his mouth with more food and then says, "Oink, oink." I can see the food in his mouth. I shove him and he grins. My mom smiles at us.

"So, what are you two up to today?" Mom asks us. I look at Devin.

"I was going to hang out with the new kid and I think Dev was going to... uh, spend some time with his uhh... girlfriend," I say. Devin kicks my foot. I kick him and we both glare at each other.

"Oh, you have a girlfriend? That's so sweet. What's her name?" she asks him. He looks at me like he's going to kill me.

"Well Mrs. Connor," he starts.

"I've told you a thousand times to call me Harper," she tells him.

"Okay, well Harper, I don't have a girlfriend. She's just a friend," he says. I raise my eyebrows

"Do you hook up with all of your friends?" I mutter quietly.

"What was that Riley?" my mother asks me.

"Nothing." Devin smirks. I get up and refill my cup of coffee.

"Hey babes, will you get me more juice?" Devin asks me. I nod. I grab his cup from his hand and grab the juice from the fridge. I put the stuff away and then walk back to the table. I hand him my cup and take his. He smiles at me, his grey eyes taunt me. He takes a drink and then starts choking on the hot black coffee.

"Oh, sorry. I guess that wasn't your juice." He takes his glass back from me and gives me the stink eyes that only a four-year-old can manage. Well, Devin pulls it off too, I guess. I take my glass from his fingers. My parents smile at each other.

"What was that for?" he asks me quietly.

"For picking shitty movies and at least the next time you decide to lick me, you'll smell good. You know, like coffee," I say to him quietly. I don't want my parents to ask me why he licked me. They might get the wrong idea. He takes another three pancakes from the pile and chews with his mouth open to irritate me. I roll my eyes and drink my coffee.