Chapter Seventy-Eight

We get through traffic slowly and the ring burns on my finger, it feels wrong. I really can't go back now. I sigh and press my head against the window. I just want to go home and get away from him. From the mess I've made.

The rain comes down harder. There's a bit of thunder but no lighting. I keep looking at him out of the corner of my eye but he doesn't look at me. I kind of wish he would. I sip my tea and try to keep it down. The storm has been slowing down our driving speed. We've been driving for seven hours but we still have five or six more at this rate. I can't focus on anything other than him.

I don't know what to do. I said all of the things I didn't mean and now I can't take any of them back. You'll never kiss him again. It feels like someone's punched me so hard I can't breathe when I realize the full extent of what I've done. "No no no no no no no," I say, but it's just broken whispers of the wind. Gone, like any chance I had with him.

My eyes are filling with tears and I don't even care as they slip down my cheeks and plunk against my legs. I don't care if he sees me crying.

I'm numb and hollowed out, but this time it's not his words that haunt me, it's mine.

It's all my fault.