Chapter Forty-Eight

"Stop what? I'm not doing anything," he says. Am I just feeling things that aren't actually happening?

But I can't go back now. "Your hand, it keeps touching my leg," I say.

"Do you not want me to?" He looks almost...hurt?

"I-I can't think when touch me," I say. We've stopped walking again.

"You didn't answer my question," he says.

"Can we talk in private?" I ask. He looks around.

"I'm pretty sure there's no one else here," he says. I gesture to a classroom and he nods. We step inside and he shuts the door. "Go on," he says.

"I think that we should talk," I say slowly. "About us."

"What's there to talk about?" he asks. "We both like it when I do this," he says. And I'm about to ask him a question but then his lips are touching mine. I stand up on my tip toes and press my body to his. His hands cup my face and he kisses me softly. My eyes flutter. He pulls away. "And we both like it when I do this." He touches my hip. "We like it when I do this." He touches my thigh. "And we both especially like it when I do this." He kisses me again, but it's not sweet or soft, it's hot and urgent.

His hands explore my body and press me closer to him. I walk back until I hit a table and then I sit on it and he comes in between both of my legs. I yank on his shirt and he takes it off. I kiss him deeper and harder and he returns the kiss. His hands slip under my shirt. I arch myself closer to him. His fingers skim my stomach and my back and everywhere. I love the way his touch feels.

He lifts my shirt over my head and then kisses my neck. And then trails kisses down shoulder to my collar bone and slightly lower. My legs grips his hips as I press myself closer to him. My hands wander down his back and linger right by the waistband of his jeans.

And then I remember that we're supposed to be getting snacks. "Devin, we have to go and get snacks," I say.

"Do we have to?" he asks, his head still by my neck.

"Yeah, come on," I say. He sighs and then releases me. I hop off the table and bend down to grab my shirt. Devin watches me. He's holding his shirt in his hand, but not wearing it. I slip my shirt on and then walk to the door. I wrap my hand on the handle and try to turning it. It doesn't open. "Devin, I think we're locked in," I tell him.

He drops his shirt and walks over to the door. He tries it and then frowns when it doesn't open. He swears and tries throwing his weight into it. It doesn't work. "Shit, were trapped," he says.

"No we're not."

"We're locked in, and that to me screams that we're trapped." We both look at each other. And then the lights go out.

"Did the power go out?" I ask him. I can barely make out his face in the darkness.

"Yeah," he says. I try my phone but we don't have any service.

"Shit, shit, shit!" I say.

"It's going to be okay," Devin says. His arms wrap around me. I sink into his embrace. We sink to the ground and he just holds me, his arms around my stomach and my shoulders. "So, what should we do?" he asks. I put my head in his lap.

"Talk," I say.

"About us?" I nod. "Okay. So we've kissed a couple of times and we've both liked it."

"And?" I ask him.

"And...I don't think it has to be a big deal. It's just kissing, it's not like it means anything." I freeze. Of course it doesn't mean anything. Of course. I try not to feel like someone's slapped me.

"Yeah. Right, but I think that we should just stop doing it. It doesn't mean anything right? So let's make sure it doesn't become complicated," I say. I push myself away from him. I walk over to a table and sit down in a chair.

"Your call," he says. He won't stop looking at me and I really wish that he would because I feel my body gravitating towards his. I stare at the table. I try the door again. "You can't bully the door into opening," Devin says. He's sitting against the wall.

"But I can try," I mutter. I keep pounding on the door. Devin comes up behind me and his hands brush my waist. He pulls me away from the door. I shrug him off me and walk back over to my chair. I sit down and tap my fingers impatiently against the table. I eventually lay down on the floor. I put my arms under my head and my hair fans out.

Devin lays down next to me. It's hot and humid in the room. There's some light from the windows that we can't open. They're locked from the outside and too high up for us to reach. And there's no air conditioning because the power is out. I'm really having a lot of fun.

"Why is it so hot?" I ask Devin. He shrugs.

"Why don't you take off your shirt?" Devin says. My eyes widen.

"What? No! Why would I do that? You can't just snap your fingers and-"

"You'd be colder," Devin says. He takes off his shirt and I stand up. I walk around and look for water or something. "What are you doing?" he asks me. I don't answer him as I poke around the teacher's desk. I find a water bottle and then walk back over to where Devin is.

I unscrew the cap to the water bottle and I'm about to take a drink when Devin plucks is out of my hands. "Hey! That's mine!" I yell as I wrap my hands around the bottle. And then we're playing tug a war for it.

"Fine, you want it? You can have it!" Devin says as he lets go and then the water goes all over my chest, stomach and hips.

"Thank you for that," I say. He nods and stares at my chest. "Maybe you could stop staring," I say.

"Okay," he says. Instead of staring at my chest he stares into my eyes. His gaze is heavy. And my facade is crumbling.