Friends (Part One)

John strolled into Tommy's apartment to find Poll sat on her own, he frowned when she looked at him knowing he was looking for you.

"Where's (Y/N)?" He asked when she didn't explain your absence

"She's on a date with the apprentice from the bakery." Poll said calmly as she watched her nephew swallow.

"Right' well then tell Tommy I'll be back in a bit." John said as he nodded, deciding to find you.

"John you're a married man now you can't keep running after (Y/N)." Polly snapped. She was fond of you, you'd grown up among her nephews and had been close to Ada, you'd helped her through the war and she even let you call her aunt Poll.

"I'm not runnin' after her Poll, the guy she's out with owes Tommy near a hundred quid I'm not lettin' her get mixed up in that." John mumbled.

He left the apartment and hurried through the streets until he found you sat alone outside a café, he took a seat and next to you and grinned when you rolled your eyes.

"What's wrong with this one?" You sighed.

"He owes Tommy some money." John said as he rolled a toothpick between his fingers and placed it between his lips.

You both sat and waited for your date to arrive, this wasn't the first date John had crashed, you once made the mistake of meeting someone at the Garrison after Harry had promised to keep an eye on you in case things went wrong.

John hadn't been impressed and he ditched his brothers who watched him successfully sabotage your date. Despite it being incredibly irritating you had to admit that having your best friend dismissing them saved you a lot of awkward rejections.

"So, everyone round here owes Tommy money." You said with a sigh.

"Yeah but do you really want a man that gambles?" John asked grinning when you giggled.

"Everyone around here gambles it's why they owe Tommy money." He smiled and looked at you for a minute before chuckling and turning his attention to the other people who were milling around.

"Well then we'll find you someone who's not from around here." John muttered as he grinned at you and gripped you chin. "What'd you think, a proper posh bloke in a two story house."

"Oh yes and I will have to call you Mr Shelby, dance in fine gowns and boss around maids." You both burst into laughter, John's thumb rubbing your cheek as he looked at your happy expression.

Neither of you noticed your date had seen the exchange and chosen to leave, the pair of you spent hours laughing and joking about you being married to a rich man, eventually walking back to meet Poll.

"So what happened, you find another one that wasn't good enough?" Arthur asked, thinking the entire ordeal was incredibly funny.

"Shut up Arthur." He grunted as he passed his brother and joined you and Poll at the kitchen table.