Friends (Par Two)

Esme couldn't help but feel jealous of you and John. You were close with her, she liked you well enough, just your bond with John made her feel left out and hurt. She knew how it was growing up with a friend and being so close you can't be without the other, so she decided to take things into her own hands.

She wanted you to be happy, so she turned to Tommy, knowing you loved all the Shelby's the same way you loved John. She thought carefully about how to phrase what she was going to say to Tommy, she didn't want you sent away.

"Tommy we need to talk." Esme said as she walked into Tommy's office. He glanced up at her, knowing what she was going to talk about.

"I know Esme." Tommy mumbled hoping to avoid the subject.

"Tommy, John's right she needs a good man and you all keep avoiding the idea of anything ever changing when it comes to her." Esme sighed and lent on his desk as he nodded.

"What would you have me do Esme, we've known her, her whole life?" Tommy said looking up from the spot he'd been staring at.

"Find her someone good, someone who you know will look after her like you boys do." Esme said.

"I'll think about it." Tommy said and Esme nodded.

Tommy had spent months finding someone who could look after you, the girl whom he and his brothers saw as some sort of sister, you quickly fell for him and the Shelbys' welcomed the man as one of their own.

Three days before your wedding John vanished, everyone was out looking for him but you knew where he'd be, without telling anyone were you were going you went to the spot you knew he'd be. You took a seat next to him and he swallowed as he looked at you.

"Are you going through with it?" John's voice wavered as he played with his hands.

"Yes." You mumbled unsure why your friendship with John created such a feeling of guilt when you talked about your fiancée. You placed a hand on his cheek and he lent into it.

"Why?" his tone was serious as he looked across at you.

"I love him." At that John jerked his head away from your hand and refused to look at you.

"You love him?" John asked with the hurt he was feeling ringing clear in his voice. "Why because Tommy told you to?"

"No John I just do." You tried to explain.

John didn't speak to you for the rest of the afternoon, his heart was in his mouth every time he looked at you.

All those years the two of you had spent together and you'd obliviously dismiss your feelings for him as friendship, that evening he trudged his way to the Garrison, drinking his feelings away as he swallowed his pride and told your fiancée that he was looking forward to being his best man.