Four

Louis knew it was a shitty day when Zayn had walked into his job

Louis knew it was a shitty day when Zayn had walked into his job. With his perfect hair that was bleached blonde and his still dark beard that dusted down to his neck.

He was still beautiful. His hair had been shaved down and his dark eyebrows obviously contrasted with the color but his olive skin tone still looked flawless. His style had changed from graphic tees to button ups and worn down jean jackets with numerous patches decorating the sleeves and the back.

It did bother Louis how just the sight of Zayn made him happy. As if the memories of how the man had teamed up with his ex to find a way to 'fix' him, simply disappeared. At least for a few moments. Then he was back to scoffing and rolling his eyes as he scratched at his beard innocently.

The music store was quite large, filled with 5 long rows of music separated by their genres and artists. There was a small relaxing section where there were two beaten down bean bag chairs resting on a faded lavender carpet, allowing the customers to chill.

But one thing he hated most was how he had to ask if he needed help. As soon as the bell that hung on the door rang, he was supposed to greet the man with a smile but right now all he could do was stare.

And think. So many things. So many questions. Like, How is he? How's Niall? Where is Niall? Is everything okay between you two? Have you talked to Harry? Do you miss me?

A year is such a long time.

He was internally fighting his instinct to greet the man as his glowing hazel orbs went towards the grunge section which Louis had done himself and was quite proud of. He was beginning to disappear behind the shelf which made the small man anxious.

It was like he was frozen behind the counter with his sweaty palms pressed against the wooden surface. His grey eyes stayed locked on the man in front of him who was either oblivious that he was there or was just too focused on the album covers.

Either way he had to say something. Whether it be because of how he was required to greet the customers or because he hasn't seen the man who was his best friend in so long.

He opened his mouth, forming the words and planning the simple sentence in his mind. It was supposed to be easy. Catherine took the part of him that loves. Harry was the one that had to pay. Not Zayn and Niall.

"Zayn," he whispered, feeling anxious just from saying his name so softly that it just came out like a breath. Why can't I talk! He wanted to scream. Bang his fist against the wood. Something. Anything.

What if he doesn't want to talk to me? What if he moved on and doesn't care anymore?

Louis shook his head from those angsty thoughts, closing his eyes to take a deep breath before opening them to finally find the words. "Do you need any help?" He blurted out, attracting Zayn's attention.