Thirty One

"Harry, I think you have had enough wine for today

"Harry, I think you have had enough wine for today." Anne tsked as she snatched his empty glass off the coffee table. The man grunted as he laid back against the sofa, his body molding against the cushion while his hand rubbed at his face in thought.

"Mom, I can assure you that I am handling my wine like a champ." He burped, his eyes remaining shut since it was almost impossible for him to open them.

He was drunk. Way too drunk.

Honestly, he had forgotten that now that he was becoming human again, his tolerance would not be the same. He could no longer chug bottle after bottle. He could barely get through one bottle now without being piss drink to the point where he was no longer himself.

The thing was, Harry knew how to separate his reality with the fantasies that run through his mind when he gets intoxicated. He is aware of how he behaves differently when under a certain substance.

He couldn't remember the drunk version of him though. He wasn't sure if it was from the trauma of the car accident, causing his mind to completely repress and ignore the other personas that he attains.

"It's fine because I am toasted too." She chuckled giddily, plopping down onto the sofa beside her son, her head resting on his shoulder as she leaned into him for comfort.

Gemma had already fallen asleep and Anne was feeling a bit lonely, which caused her to call upon her son who was more than willing to pay her a visit. The two of them had cracked open the woman's poor excuse of a bar, popping open the large bottle of moscato.

"What great role models we are for Gems." He muttered, shaking his head in disbelief as he lazily opened his eyes to look at the ceiling.

"Hey, no one said we had to be perfect." Anne shrugged, sitting up from the position so that she could take a sip of her drink. Her eyebrows raised as the alcoholic beverage slid down her throat, a hiss leaving her mouth at the after taste.

"Agreed." He whispered, his heart shaped lips spreading as a yawn slipped past his lips. He knew it was late and that he would have to be up early the next day for an early work meeting, but he just didn't give a single fuck right now.

"You know, I really appreciate you trying to step in for Gemma after everything." The woman drunkenly admitted, a sweet smile forming on her face as she recalled all the instances where her son has helped her. Although she was content at the moment, her thoughts could help but drift to the negatives of her situation.

First and foremost, Harry leaving home at eighteen only to reappear at twenty four as a completely different person, the struggles of leaving their old home to find a new one in a strange town, Mark passing away, and how now she is a single mother of two.

"Of course," His deep voice rumbled as he raised his head so that he could make eye contact with his mother. He noticed how her hazel orbs scanned his face repeatedly, pausing at his eyes. "I told you that I wanted to help in anyway I could."