Twenty

"Maybel, why do you make me come to these things again?" Harry groaned as he wiped at his face tiredly

"Maybel, why do you make me come to these things again?" Harry groaned as he wiped at his face tiredly. He tried to slump in his seat but it had only made him feel more uncomfortable.

"Because you know I can't hear and that my grandson doesn't visit so you're all I have to keep me company." The old woman hummed, smiling as she peeked a glance towards the man to see him nod because it was true.

The two of them were sat in the back row of the community room where their building intendant was speaking behind a podium in the front of the room. His name was Michael Fitzpatrick, and he was the son of the original owner of the building.

As his first duty as owner of the establishment where they currently live, he had decided that once a month they would meet in the community room as a way to speak on issues that tenants may have and mention improvements if needed.

During one of his drugged up nights, Harry had stumbled into a meeting and even though he was uninterested in whatever they had to say, he still stayed and sat in the back.

It wasn't like he had anything else to do.

"They say the same thing every time." He sighed, running his hands through his hair since the strands had repeatedly kept falling in his face. "My faucet is runny, my shower water goes from boiling hot to ice cold, my life is super shitty." He mimicked with a high pitched voice. Maybel merely laughed, shaking her head dismissively.

"Can we please talk about the noise coming from the second floor?" Someone blurted out, drawing the curly haired man's attention because that was his floor.

"What about it?" Fitzpatrick questioned, leaning his forearms on the podium as his blue orbs sweeped over the small crowd.

"I don't think it's that serious..." Harry mumbled in a different tone so no one would think that it was him.

"Oh, but it is!" A mother boomed, "I have two kids and we can hear everything from down stairs. Whoever this person is needs to relax with the loud music and the sex. I mean jesus, you live in an apartment building with people all around you."

Harry clenched his jaw, rolling his eyes because it wasn't his fault that Danielle was ridiculously loud.

"Well, I don't like hearing your children screaming and jumping around at six in the morning." Another person stated, causing an uproar from the mother.

Then all of a sudden, everyone was bickering about some type of complaint. Making the red eyed man merely suck his teeth and let out a deep breath of annoyance since this was the reason why these meetings take so much time.

"What are they going on about?" The old woman beside him asked, her small wrinkled fingers fidgeting with a few loose strands from her knitted skirt.

"Oh, you know. The usual." He retorted, "Hey, you want to get out of here and go to my mom's bakery?"

"She's the one with the pretty brown hair and green eyes, right?"