Thirty Two

Harry let out a deep breath as he leaned against the wall railing on the back of the elevator, his large hands squeezing at the cool metal to relieve some of the nervousness that was coursing through his veins

He could barely keep his eyes open and the walk to the apartment felt like an uphill hike, but it was supposedly worth it. At least that was what he kept telling himself as he tried his best to remember where the man lived under his intoxicated state. And he knew that Louis had lived on the second floor but he absolutely could not make it up a flight of stairs at this very moment.

All this work, but he could not figure out the answer to the most important question of all: why was he doing this now?

Is it because he was drunk? Or because he truly wanted to be with the man that he loved? Was midnight the right time to propose to someone? Or should he wait until the morning?

"Shit." He grunted as he watched the doors slide open, revealing the hallway that contained Louis' apartment. He could already see the door as he trudged out of the shaft, his hands going to rub his eyes aggressively as a way to wake himself up.

How does one act when they are about to propose to the love of their life? Are they nervous beyond belief? Are they confident? Are they happy?

All Harry knew was that he was drunk past returning to sanity and that he could honestly throw up if it wasn't of the fact that he was still trying to hold it together for Louis.

"Louis, will you-" He paused, crinkling his nose as he shook his head at himself. He cleared his throat once again, his hands going to smooth out and tuck in his wrinkly shirt. "Louis, will you marry me?" He rehearsed, stumbling towards the door sloppily.

"Jesus, Harry. This isn't the right time. You are about to fuck everything up." He spoke to himself, his green eyes widening as he locked eyes with his reflection in the closed metal elevator doors. It wasn't a clear image but he could see that he severely needed to fix his wild curly hair.

"No." He snapped, slapping himself against the face repeatedly until he felt like he had sobered up enough. "You have this. You go in there, and you propose to him. You deserve this type of happiness. Stop being such a pussy."

It was then that he decided to finally take action.

He felt for his pockets cautiously, reassuring himself that the ring was still in his pocket. Then, he raised his fist and knocked harshly on the door, cringing at the loud sound that echoed in the empty hallway.

He bit his lip anxiously as he took a step back, his mostly green eyes watching intensely as a shadow underneath the door moved before it was swinging open to reveal Louis who was slurping down a spoonful of milk from his cereal bowl. The smaller man was so shocked from seeing the killer that he choked a bit on the liquid, causing a few drops to spill past his lips and drip down to his chin.