Chapter Five: Shouldn't Have Been You

The room looked like just another hospital room. It was painted white, with a window that overlooked nothing particularly; but looking closely, it wasn't just any room. This room had their daughter. Lauren's pale body lay motionless on the bed. She was connected to so many machines and there was a tube covering her mouth. You could've barely seen the girl behind all the tubes and wires. Clara rushed to Lauren's bedside and slowly picked up her hand and stroked it. Mike stood next to his wife with his hand on her shoulder.

"Lauren...mija." Clara said as she covered her mouth with her hand.

"Mike..look at her..she's...she's.." Clara couldn't even finish her sentence because she was crying so much; the tears running down her cheeks. She couldn't stop the tears from falling. It was raw, everything; the tears, emotions. She couldn't stop crying.

"Mija..it's me; your mom. I miss you so much, mija. I don't like seeing you in such a state. You weren't supposed to be here. You're supposed to be getting ready to come spend Christmas with us. You're not supposed to be like that."

Mike stood there not saying anything. He watched his daughter's lifeless body. She didn't even look like his Lauren. The room went silent minus for the slow beeping of Lauren's heart monitor.

Clara wiped at her tears and brought Lauren's hands to her lips.

"I can't lose you, mija. I can't...we can't. We love you so much, Lauren. You're going to fight, you're going to wake up and you're going to be okay. Camila...she's fine, mija. She's okay and she's going to need you to be okay. Just like us, she doesn't want to lose you. Please wake up. Your father, Taylor and I, we miss you. Please."

Mike knelt next to his daughter's bed and took her hand from her mother. He brought it to his cheek and let his tears burst forth like water from a dam, spilling down his face.

"Mija, it's your dad. I never expected for this to ever happen. This isn't something any parent would ever want to experience. But I know you're going to be okay. I know you're going to wake up and I'd get to look into those vibrant green eyes of yours. We can't lose you, mija. We need you to be here. We love you."

He got up and kissed her forehead.

It's moments like these that have the possibility to shatter your heart into tiny pieces. Moments like these are something that you would never wish upon your worst enemy.

***

Ally and Normani arrived sometime after in the hospital. They managed to convince Dinah to go home and rest however; she promised that she'd be back soon. Camila was still asleep and the sun was setting. Mike and Clara spent their time in their daughter's room with Taylor being outside hanging out with Lauren's friends. Eventually, Lauren's family decided to leave because they were tired; promising that they would be there in the morning. They bid their farewells and left.

Camila started stirring in her sleep. She groaned and slowly opened her brown eyes to be greeted to Dinah hovering over her.

 She groaned and slowly opened her brown eyes to be greeted to Dinah hovering over her