Chapter 27.

David's POV.

Mr. Jacobsen pulled me aside one morning.

"Everybody, go in! I'll be in right now!" He shouted at the rest of the class.

Along with everyone, I walked in. But not all the way. Before I could go any further in the door frame, Jacobsen got ahold of my backpack and pulled me towards him.

He shut the classroom door and looked at me, "Hey, bud."

"Hey, Jacobsen." I replied back, staring up at him.

"I've noticed you haven't really been here." He said.

I raised my eyebrow, in confusion, "What do you mean?"

"You're here, but you're not really here." He clarified. "Everything okay?"

I nodded my head.

"Everything okay at home? Family? You're not getting bullied, are you?" He asked, not bothering to wait for my response for each question.

"No, everything's okay. I'm fine." I said, softly smiling.

I loved Mr. Jacobsen for that. He always, always checked up on me like that. It's special because not most teachers do that. Not most teachers care.

I looked away from him, seeing someone approaching us on the corner of my eye.

It was Liza.

I sighed, as I immediately looked away. I stared down at my feet, not wanting to make any eye contact with her.

She approached Jacobsen and I. Mostly Jacobsen.

"Here's my application for Franklin," She said, handing him a piece of paper.

"Thank you, Elizabeth." Jacobsen said to her, taking the piece of paper.

I looked up just a bit to see her. She caught me when I did. She looked at me, and walked off.

I looked back at Jacobsen, who was looking down at the application paper.

I remember Liza mentioning Franklin High to me a few months back. It was the night I helped her with the class. The night she made fun of me for thinking Ms. Powers was hot. The night I got to knew her. I remember she mentioned her love for acting and anything with the arts. She wanted to get into Franklin, and she's one step closer to doing so. That makes me happy.

"Have you found a college you're interested?" He asked, still analyzing the paper.

"No," I simply said, shaking my head.

"There's not much time, David. I recommend you find one quick," He said, finally looking up at me, "You can come to me or Hurwitz. We'll be happy to help you."

I nodded, as I held on to my backpack straps.

In all honesty, I doubt I'm even gonna' find a college I wanna' apply to. There's so many of them, they all focus on one thing. I felt bad that everyone around me seemed to know where they're going, who they are. And I'm barely, not even close to that.

I walked into the classroom, Jacobsen followed behind. I headed to my seat and didn't say anything to anyone. Not because I was upset I couldn't find myself, but because I wasn't in the mood. I'm not that dramatic.

I jotted down notes, it distracted me from everything. And I did that for the entire class period, while everyone else talked and messed around.

Every class went by ridiculously slow. Maybe because I wasn't saying a word to anyone. During every period change, I saw Liza. I'd smile at her, hoping every time she'd smile back. I wish Zane was here to tell me how stupid I was for thinking she would.