Chapter 31.5

David's POV.

I stood against the wall, waiting for History class to start. I held onto the straps of my backpack as my mind went blank. It's been so long since I've gotten a simple, "Hi" from Liza. I'm moving on, I'm gonna' move on. I just miss her. It's okay, right?

I remember how we used to be. Man, I miss her.

I want her, but I also wanna' get over her. But neither are happening.

I felt my tears forming in my eyes. Here I was crying again. Well, about to. I just need a hug. From her. Only then, I'd be okay.

Jessica approached me, "Hey, babes," She said, with a smile.

I pushed out everything I was feeling. With a half smile, I said back, "Hey, Jessica."

"Everything okay?" She asked.

I nodded, "Sure."

She tilted her head, as she stared at me. She stood on her tippy toes and placed a sweet kiss on my cheek, "I'll see you next period." She told me, as she gave me one last smile before walking off.

I nodded again, "Alright," I replied. I watched her walk off. Then Alex passed me by. He said hi.

I walked into my class eventually. Mr. Hurwitz greeted me, and I headed to Erin and Carly.

I still felt upset, but I hid it pretty well. I still craved the feeling of home; being in Liza's arms. But I pushed it away.

I continued with my day. For the period we took notes and Erin and I messed with Carly.

After awhile, we had all stopped.

Carly was more focused on her work, than she was on us.

I played around with the pen I had, as I stared off. I then looked at Erin, then back at my pen, then right back at Erin.

"Hey, Erin?" I said, as I looked up at her.

"What's up?" She asked, as she wrote in her notebook.

"Have you ever been in love?" I randomly asked.

"Eh." She replied.

"Have you ever got heartbroken?" I asked afterwards.

"Of course. Who hasn't?" She said.

"It gets better, right?" I lastly asked.

"Of course, David. Heartbreaks come and go." Erin told me, as she finally looked at me. "Did someone hurt you?"

"No," I mumbled.

I looked back at my pen, and she stared at me for awhile until she went back to jotting down notes.

"I'm asking for a friend." I said, in mid silence.

She chuckled, as she shook her head, "Sure you are."

*****

I was in gym class. I rolled up the sleeves on the long sleeve shirt I was wearing as I sat down on some table that was against the wall. I had just got done playing a game of basketball. I wiped the sweat off my forehead, as I watched the boys play the last few minutes of the game.

Jessica was right in front of me.

"Come here," She said as she picked up my arms. She rolled down the sleeves, "Why do you have them rolled up? It's weird." She laughed.

"It's not weird," I told her as I watched her roll them up, "You're weird."

She fixed the ends of the sleeve and then was finally done, "See how much better that is?" She told me, with a smile.

I looked down at my now covered arms, "Eh. It's alright."

She grabbed my arms again, and pulled the sleeves down more so they were over my hands, "Aw, look! Sweater paws!" She exclaimed.

I looked down at my covered hands, "Really?"

"Yes!" She enthusiastically yelled out. "Look how cute!"

I laughed at how cute she was, "Look how cute!" I mimicked her. "And you say having them up is weird."

"It is weird,"

"Do you always have your sleeves down like this?" I asked.

"Duh." She replied, "It's cute." She repeated.

"So, even when you go to shake people's hands; it's like this?" I asked again.

"Yup!" She replied back. Again.

"So, you're like," I handed out my hand, my sleeve still down and covering my hand, "Hi, nice to meet you,"

She took my hand to play it out, "Yes." She said, "It's not weird."

I pulled my hand away, "Sure it isn't." I said to her, laughing.

She laughed along with me. I pulled my sleeves back up, "You wanna' see something that isn't weird neither?" I asked with a smirk.

"Well with that smirk on your face; no." She replied. We both started laughing again, us both going back to the night at the diner.

"Stop having a dirty mind," I said to her, flicking her cheek. "Cover your eyes."

She dramatically sighed as she covered her eyes with her hands, "Fine."

I wiped some sweat off from the back of my neck, trying to contain myself from laughing, "Alright, open your hand up like you're gonna' shake it,"

She opened her hand, and I placed my sweaty one in. I held hers tightly so it was impossible for her to pull away.

She opened up her eyes, as she started laughing, "David, pull away, that's gross!"

Whenever I was with Jessica, we were always laughing until we couldn't feel our stomachs anymore. Isn't that true happiness? Isn't that what I've needed this whole time?

I came to an end to laughing, as I just stared at her. Her smile was so.

Beautiful.

I kept a huge smile on my face after I stared at hers for awhile.

For the last few minutes of that class, we kept playfully insulting each other, our laughs and smiles not once leaving.

Even on our way out of that class, we were still smiling and laughing with each other.

I walked on the side of her, our hands brushing up against each other. I looked at her again, the same way I did earlier, as I admired her smile yet again.

She was laughing, as she bit down on her bottom lip. I stared down at her with a soft smile, everything going slow when I witnessed her smiling. I looked at her, and then I looked away.

We passed by Liza and her boyfriend. Liza and I had made eye contact while she was kissing her boyfriend. I grabbed Jessica's hand and intertwined our fingers. I smiled at Liza, hoping she knew I was on my way from erasing her from my mind.

****

I had walked Jessica to her class. She was about to walk in, until I stopped her.

"I have homework I need to do," I said to her, "You wanna' come over to 'study'?" I asked.

"Sure," She replied, "I'll be happy to help you 'study'. Meet me after school."

She was about to finally head into class, until I stopped her again.

I cupped her face as I placed a kiss on her lips,

"Great. See you after school."