9 | Fireflies

"Hi Alec."

"Uh, why are you whispering?"

"Because I don't want to scare them away."

"Scare what away?"

"The fireflies."

"Fireflies? Are you seriously out trying to catch fireflies? It's pitch black outside Daisy."

"Yes I am, and I know. It's just, I saw them across the street in the park and they looked so beautiful. I remember catching them as a kid and I thought, why not."

"Ok... hold on I'm going to go call the police station."

"What? Why?"

"Because I want to see if they've gotten any calls about a crazy girl running around the park in the middle of the night. I can just explain to them that you are simply a 17 year girl trying to catch fireflies. Nothing crazy at all."

"Shut up Alec."

"The kids can come out of hiding! She's just catching bugs at 1 in the morning!"

"Shut up!"

"Hey you stopped whispering, your going to scare them away!"

"Oh right!"

"..."

"Stop laughing at me, this isn't funny."

"It's not?"

"No. It is simply a girl enjoying life. I was put on this earth to do things I love and I will damn well do those things, no matter what anyone else thinks."

"Wow. That's actually really cool."

"Well in my mind all I can do is live in the moment. You know? Eat that piece of cake, smell those flowers, buy those shoes and watch the sun set."

"Yeah... I can't."

"Can't what?"

"Watch the sun set. Well I can but I don't get as much out of it."

"What do you mean?"

"I'm color blind."

"Oh..."

"I mean it's not a big deal, I grew up with it. Everything is just a lot more dull and sometimes it's annoying...but anyways sunsets don't really do it for me."

"So that's why you're a party pooper?"

"Excuse me, I am not. I am the opposite of the party pooper! I am the party... unpooper? No. I'm just not a party pooper."

"Ok Alec. But you get my point. I am catching fireflies because my heart wanted me to. Even if you— oh — shoot — sorry I thought I caught one—anyways even if you can't see the colors of the world you can still see the beauty. Sounds corny but it's true."

"That's pretty insightful Dais. You're a lot wiser than I—"

"I got one! Alec I caught one!"

"And there it goes."

"Awww. Alec it's so cute. You know what? I shall call him Alec and he shall be mine and he shall be my Alec."

"Wow I'm... touched?"

"But it really is beautiful here. They look like shooting stars."

"I bet they do."

"Wait... you don't sound like your being sarcastic."

"That's because I'm not. I'm still a kid at heart you know."

"Good to know. Well my phone is about to die and I need it to get back home."

"Ok. Goodnight Daisy."

"Goodnight Alec. Little Alec says goodnight too."

..................................

"Why am I smiling so much? Stop smiling."