Chapter 4-The Funeral-

Coming up with a speech was a bit overwhelming. I didn't like talking in front of people lead alone relatives that I had never met so they were complete strangers. But to Tyler they were family. He knew them better than others.

             Tyler returned back from getting food and set the food on the counter.  After thinking about I talked to him about singing.

"Are you crazy!?! You don't like talking in front of people but you want to sing?!?"

"Look I know that it's strange but I think that that's what grandmama would want. She always wanted me to break out of my comfort zone."

            After arguing with me for about 20 minutes, gunner walked over and looked a little confused.

"What's going on over here??"

"My brother here thinks I'm crazy for going to sing at the funeral."

"Tyler....she's right. It would be nice to have her sing."

               Tyler gave him a stern look and walked away saying:

"Fine do what you want tomorrow."

         I sighed and went to my room to put my dress and gunner's suit in the closet to keep it clean and wrinkle free. Gunner followed me into the room and shut the door.

"How often to you sing??"

"A couple times a day. Usually. Why??"

"It would be wise to warm up tonight and tomorrow to freshen up."

       I nodded to his response and went into the kitchen for food with gunner following and then we went back to my room to warm up. We spent 2-3 hours practicing and warming up my voice before performing the real thing.

~Next Morning 9:30 am~

People were arriving at the funeral home and walking into the room where my grandmama's casket was placed in. Gunner was standing next to mark and Tyler waiting for me to come in an meet my relatives. I walked in with a guitar case and my black dress.

           Gunner turned to me and looked at me in awe

           Gunner turned to me and looked at me in awe. His jaw dropped a bit and mark closed it for him. Tyler introduced me to our aunt and uncles and cousins that he knew well but I didn't. When it was time for everything to begin, everyone filed into the room and Tyler made his speech then turned it over to me.

          I walked up to the pedestal and said a few things then pulled over a chair and pulled out my cherry red guitar and sat down with it.

"My grandmama got this for me when I turned 18

"My grandmama got this for me when I turned 18. And to play a song that I would sing from time to time. It was the first song I learned with this guitar."

         I began to play a song I had learned when I first got my guitar.

If I got on my knees and I pleaded with you

Not to go but to stay in my arms
Would you walk out the door
Like you did once before?
This time be different

Please stay, don't go
If I call out your name like a prayer
Would you leave me alone with my tears?

Knowing I need you so
Would you still turn and go?
This time be different
Please stay, don't go
Please stay

I loved you before I even knew your name
And I wanted to give you my heart
But then you came back after leaving me one time

I knew that the heartache would start
If I called out your name like a song
That was written for you
You alone

Would you still hurt my pride?
Oh hey, how I cried this time
Be different, please stay
Please stay, don't go
Please stay

~Song is at the top of you want to listen to it~

            When I finished I stopped playing and looked at everyone. Before I stood up, Gunner began to applause and then everyone joined in. It felt nice to hear that. My grandmama would have been proud of me for breaking out of my comfort zone and I wish that she could be here to see it.