Chapter 4 - Accidents Happens

Chapter 4 – Accidents Happens

I almost scream as my back hits the floor in a thump.

Once again, I wake up from a terrible nightmare, but this time I actually fall out of my bed and the air is knocked out of me. I cough, wiping away any stray tears that aren't unusual in the morning, and finally get up.

It's only my second day of high school and I already hate it. I'm going to have to see Ryker, and then he's going to kill me. I know he will. I kicked him really hard in the place guys least want to be kicked in.

I groan, thinking about my death and go to my bathroom to take a shower, trying to scrub all of the fear off of my body with a fluffy, purple loofah. It doesn't work well, and I imagine Ryker finding my house and drowning me in my shower, so I quickly get out.

I had troubles sleeping last night because of everything new that just got shoved into my face, so I pull on an oversized grey hoodie, navy skinny jeans, and a pair of nice, warm Ugg boots on incase I decide to fall asleep in class.

I doubt my mom would approve of my outfit, since she's more into the 'show some skin' look, but she doesn't get an opinion this morning because she's out with 'friends'. I wonder what I would be like if I were a mom. Would I really treat my kid the way my mom treats me?

I hope to God that I won't have to find out any time soon.

I quickly comb through my hair since I got up a little later this morning, and quickly grab all of my books for today and shove them into a black over-the-shoulder bag. I decide to grab a different coat than the one Ryker touched yesterday, and pull it on as I walk out of my room.

"Jessica!" Mr. Thompson's voice stops me in my tracks, and I turn around to look up to the white-haired man. I flinch at the roughness to his voice when he says my name, and try my best not to act scared. "Where is your mother? She was supposed to be home this morning," he tells me, smirking. "We had plans for when you left."

I smile kindly. "I think she went out with friends."

He nods, and then creepily looks up my body. Luckily for me it's mostly covered, but I can still feel the shivers going down my spine. His longing eyes make me want to puke. I hate him more than my mom's last husband. Wasn't my mother, who's only thirty-six, young enough for him that he has to lay his eyes on me too?

"Well," He says, "you can stay home from school today. I'll make sure you don't get in trouble. Your mom won't have to know either."

"Sorry, school is important to me," I smile, beginning to walk to the grand staircase. Even though I'm scared of what Ryker will do to me when he finds me at school, my biggest fear has always been older men that want things from me. I'm a teenager, for Pete's sake. Guys that are supposed to be my fathers shouldn't look at me like that.

Unfortunately, my real dad never stuck around, and with my mom's desire for money, I know I'll never have one.

"Come on, daughter," he grabs my wrist before I can get all of the way down the staircase. His other hand grabs onto my bum and I scream in frustration, elbowing him right in the belly.

He groans and pushes me with my bag down the rest of the stairs, and when I hit the bottom, my ankle begins throbbing in pain. I barely notice it after Mr. Thompson comes running downstairs, and try crawling away from him. This can't happen to me again. I still can't seem to get over what happened to me five years ago, and it just can't happen again.

Surprisingly, Mr. Thompson looks a little scared, so he doesn't lay his hands on me again. He just yells at me, "you pathetic little whore! You're not even worth my time anyway! I married your mom because I wanted her, and you're just some stupid garbage that came along! You're out of here when you're eighteen!"