Chapter 20 - Second Base

Chapter 20 – Second Base

Mr. Portman, the principal isn't fazed by Ryker's reaction. I stare at him in horror, and adoration at the same time, and I think Patrick and Toby do the same thing. Drew is still on the ground, and mostly every else has left. The principal crosses his arms watching Drew slowly stand up.

"Get out of here, Anderson," he practically spits at Drew. "I'll see you in my office first thing after school." Drew gives Ryker a terrible look and he smiles back at him, before Drew walks off. "As for you," the principal glares at Ryker. "You're expelled! Get out of my school!"

Ryker almost thanks him, but I pipe in. "No," I gasp. "You can't do that!"

Mr. Portman looks taken aback. "How does this concern you?"

Because I care about him, because I like him a lot and I don't want to continue going to school if he isn't here to make my day better. But, "I made him do it," is all I say.

Mr. Portman laughs. "Kiddo, no one tells Mr. Knight what to do."

"Well, I asked him to," I say, exasperated. "Drew was picking on my friends. Ryker used to help him, why would he care if it was happening again if it weren't for me?"

The principal considers, and Ryker's face is now serious. "Stay out of it Jessie," he tells me, and then looks towards Mr. Portman. "It was all my fault. I just hate Drew."

Mr. Portman ignores Ryker. "So you're telling me," he has his eye on me as I try not to look at Ryker, "I can blame you for this ruckus?" I nod my head, not wanting Ryker to get into trouble. He doesn't deserve it. He was sticking up for me, and now he's going to be the one kicked out of school. Not happening.

"Jessie, stop," Ryker says without looking at me, "she has nothing to do with..."

"I tried punching Drew and then he shoved me and Ryker got into the middle of it..."

Ryker finally looks at me with a serious expression. "Jessie, shut up." I gasp, and so do Toby and Patrick, who are leaning against the lockers across the hallway. "If you're going to blame anyone, blame Drew. He was picking on Jessie's friends, and he even hit one of them. We we're just trying to stop him, since you obviously aren't making it safe for them."

The principal sighs, the hate for Ryker leaving his blue eyes. "I actually believe you," he says, very surprised. "You're not expelled, but you better swear to graduate, Knight, because I'm not letting you back to this school next year if you fail. And I'm going to pretend you weren't involved in this because you already have enough hours of community service for the rest of this year."

Ryker seems surprised too. "Um, thank you?"

"If you see any one hurting any of my students again though," he tells Ryker. "You come straight to me." He looks over at Patrick who is holding Toby. "I'm sorry you were involved in this too. The school board is trying their best to lessen discrimination. Luckily, you seem to have some great people on your side. People I wouldn't expect to be."

"Hey!" Ryker interrupts his speech. "That hurt my feelings."

The principal laughs. "Anyway, go to the school nurse, you guys, get yourselves checked out."

"I get checked out a lot. Sometimes too much for my liking," Ryker smirks, glancing over at me. I roll my eyes.

"I wasn't talking to you," the principal turns to leave, "I don't care what happens to you. Now I've got to get the janitor. I don't want blood on my floors." Ryker just smiles because he knows that's not true, and looks back at me. I don't know what to do. He seemed mad at me before, and I'm not sure if he still is.