Chapter 9 - A Life Of My Own

Chapter 9 – A Life Of My Own

"No! Where are you now that I need you?" I shuffle through everything in my room, looking for the book I got the other day in English class. It seems to have disappeared, and having to read four really long, boring chapters by Monday worries me. I couldn't read it last night, and how could I read it now if I don't have it!

And then an idea pops into my head. I totally must have taken it out at Ryker's place, and now it's still there, and I have to go over there. Again. After I told Patrick and Toby that I wouldn't see him again. I swear I didn't do this on purpose.

I dress in a pair of ripped jeans and a long-sleeved black shirt, soon running downstairs to find my mom in the living room. She's still in her nightgown, eating strawberries with some healthy oatmeal with milk. I walk up to her slowly, trying to be the sweetest as possible.

"Hey, how are you this morning?" I ask kindly.

"Good morning," she smiles, "you look like you're going somewhere? What's up?"

"I need to get something," I admit, sitting down on the couch beside her. "Can I use your car to go get it? I'll be really quick."

"Fine," she says without asking what, and I thank her quickly, leaving the room without her caring. I grab her keys and pull on my coat and my boots, and head outside to her car. It still smells new on the inside, nothing like Ryker's old car that has the scent of him all over it. I wish I could stop thinking about Ryker, and how his car and him smell.

Last night, Jack was rather nice to me, and he did want to see me again. I'm not sure if he would feel the same way if he saw me now, wearing casual clothes, messy hair, and no makeup. But so far, he seems like an okay guy, and I know my mom would definitely approve of him. In fact, I'm surprised she hasn't mentioned me going out with him. I know she saw me with him last night.

But right now, I shouldn't think about what guy I should hang out with and whether or not my mom would approve, because I need that dang book. I don't even know how I would have left it at Ryker's, but it must be there.

It would be so much easier having his number, but maybe that would also have a downside. I can just imagine him spamming me with texts and inappropriate picture quotes. And then if I blocked him, he would find me rude and scare the heck out of me. It's just better that I pretend technology doesn't exist when it has to do with Ryker.

After I pick up my book, I should just pretend Ryker doesn't exist in general. With his wonderful dancing eyes, irresistible smirk, and other heavenly features, I know that's going to be impossible, even though I made a promise to Patrick and Toby to stay away from him.

But by leaving my freaking book at his house, I'm already breaking this promise. Ryker lives in a totally different house and area than I do, but it doesn't take too long to get there. I pull down his driveway and park by the front door, getting out without even letting myself look in the mirror and make sure I look at least a little presentable, like I want to. But instead, I pretend I don't care what Ryker thinks of me. I don't need to impress some stupid bad boy.

It's still freezing outside so I run up to the steps, quickly ringing the doorbell. Nobody comes to the door right away, so I ring the doorbell again. I can feel my cheeks and tip of my nose begin to redden because of the chilling air, but luckily there is little wind and my hair falls down my face and over my shoulders instead of flying in every direction.

I finally see a figure through the window, and he's walking to the door. Soon enough, the door opens, and Ryker stands in front of me in a big, black hoodie and grey sweatpants, his hair a total mess. He definitely wasn't expecting any visitors.