Chapter 2

Lewis's POV

Pain. That's what I felt as I lay alone in the darkness of the forest. Silence surrounded me, and I whimpered. He's mating with someone else. I could feel every thrust as the pain stabbed through me. Every sweet word made my ears burn, and every kiss made my silent screams echo through the forest.

He's doing it on purpose. And I knew he was. Silas is trying to break the bond, to disconnect himself from me, and take a new Luna. Yet, his wolf still held onto the thin shredded bond that remained. Even after a month, I knew we were still connected.

At least, Silas was. I would've chuckled, had I had enough strength to do so. This is his punishment. But the damage has already been done. My wolf is dead. No longer calling out to me, no longer giving his shouts of encouragement. Instead, he lay silent, not even his breathing cutting through my thoughts.

A cold wind blew past, causing me to shiver. If I don't find shelter soon, I'm not the only one who will die... Hope sparked and died out in the chilling night. Wolves howled in the distance - a customary greeting to the full moon.

The pain subsided and I managed to push myself up off the ground. My stomach growled with hunger, but my lucky find of food had long since dissipated. I pulled up my knees, hugging them to my chest.

It was funny, really. When I was younger, I had expected to be in the arms of my mate right now, and look where I was. Alone, rejected, with child; all the result if my rank and my status in the pack. If I had been born a female, would he still love me?

Of course not. Male or not, I'm still an Omega.

The howling grew closer to my resting place, alerting me to a hunting group. Wolves are very territorial. If I'm found, there's no telling what they'd do to me. I crawled quickly, pushing myself​ up behind a large tree. I held my breath as the footsteps entered the clearing, just in front of my hiding space.

I glanced towards them, making out three silhouettes in the moonlit area. When I began to relax, a voice rang out. "Lewis!!" Scott? His voiced sounded desperate as he called my name. "I don't smell him here, Beta," another voice called out. "Only the scent of a mother with child. She must have bolted when she heard us."

"Keep looking!" Scott replied. A large growl sounded out. "What's the point?! We've been here for hours! He's. Not. Here!! Does Silas even know about this?!" I swallowed, waiting for the reply. "... Of course he does," Scott said quietly. "He issued the search. Now stop yelling. There's a chance he might still be here, and if Lewis knows Silas is looking for him he won't want to be found." I don't want to be found regardless.

The group continued, pushing through the underbrush and sniffing the arlir for any trace of me. Thankfully, my pheremones allowed me to stay hidden. When they had gone, I slumped down with relief, chuckling at the low rumble in my stomach.

Once more, I was alone and hungry. But, one simple question continued to nag at me. Why was Silas looking for me? He seemed sexually satisfied, as far as I could tell, and it had been over a month.

Does he want to be rid of me? Is that how he plans on destroying the bond? I gulped. What if he knows about the child? Would he do harm to it? I rubbed my stomach. I'm not going to let him.

The scouts circled back, Scott's desperate voice cutting through me, making me feel a bit of guilt. He's really looking for me. These guys have been here for hours, looking for me. Don't get your hopes up, I chided myself. Remember what happened last time.

Unfortunately, I did remember. And it made me curl up even more, hiding as much as possible. The same angry voice gave another cry of frustration. "Can we go now?! Unlike you, I actually have a mate to get back to!!" Scott have a loud sigh. "... Fine. But we'll pick up search tomorrow. We leave no stone unturned. Got it?" The two voices gave sounds of agreement, and then they were gone.

I stretched out, not caring about the cracks of my joints that echoed through the forest. They're gone. Finally, I can be alone once more.

I lay down, holding myself close for warmth. The sadness of my life had always been something I was aware of. It wasn't new to me, so I shouldn't let something like this affect me. If I can survive, I can find a new place, a new home. Far far away from Silas and his sorry pack.