Chapter 14

Silas's POV

"Help him? You only want to clear your conscience. You want nothing to do with Lewis."

I lunged forward, my arms wrapping around Scott's neck. His eyes widened in surprise and his hands grabbing at my arms. The doctor shot out and grabbed my waist, attempting to pull me away from Scott.

"Say that again. I dare you."

Scott's face turned a bright shade of red, bordering on blue before my wolf finally got through to me. Silas. Enough. He didn't mean it.

My anger dissipated and I released my hold on Scott. Scott coughed, falling to his knees. The doctor rushed over to him, helping him stand. Scott looked at me for a second before turning toward the open door to Lewis's room.

His face paled immediately, his hand reaching out and pointing. "L-Lewis..."

"Hmm? Is he awake?"

"No, it's... He's... Gone."

My head snapped to the door, my heart freezing as I stared at the empty bed. Scott was right. Lewis is gone. I ran to the window, letting out a long howl. Less than a minute later several Howl's rang back in response. They're sending out a search team to look for Lewis.

I ran outside, hoping to join them when my mother grabbed my arm. "Wait! Silas! Where are you going?"

"Um... Well, I-"

"He's going to get his mate."

Scott cut in, looking at me with a serious expression. My stomach dropped. He wants me to tell her. I looked at his neck, the fingermarks already starting to bruise. Guilt rose up in my throat as my mother spoke.

"Your mate? Did you find her? Who is she?!"

"... He."

"What?"

"... My mate... Is a guy."

Lewis's POV

The howling continued in the distance as I traveled, the pressure in my chest never subsiding. Nerves ran through me, but I had to do this.

Silas will know when I leave the pack. He'll feel the break of our pack bond, and I'll be outcast; a rogue. Not like I wasn't one before. I'd already been an outcast, this time it was official.

When I arrived at the border, I stopped. I looked back at the forest, listening to the howls and taking in the scent of the forest. It had been my home, my sanctuary, for as long as I could remember. When I wanted to get away from the pack, I came here.

Then I turned, looking out into the human world. The neatly cut grass, the strange signs and people that walked by, unaware of the hidden world right beside them. It amazed me, that they could be so oblivious to something like this.

Finally, I forced myself to move, putting one foot over before slowly taking my other foot and crossing the boundaries completely. The tug of the bond begged me to go back, ticking down like a clock before it finally snapped, branding me a rogue for life. It was like a dull, hollow ache, not as painful as the rejection, so I was able to bear it.

My ranking in the pack was low, and so the pain was also less than that of a Beta or Alpha. Omegas aren't important to the pack. They are carriers, reproducers, and, in worst cases, sex slaves. Sometimes, they are even sold to Alphas who impregnate them over and over again, and destroy their sanity.

But, now I have a new chance. A new beginning. I am no longer an Omega. I am a human. I have the chance to get out, see the world, make a new and different life, away from Silas. Even if it seemed bad now - no money, no home, no food, no identity - it will get better. Because I'm not going to be separated, and bullied for my rank. I can make my own rank. If I wanted to, I could be an Alpha of the human world.