Chapter 9

Silas's POV

Turns out, it was very hard. Lewis had been kept under tight security after waking up about a week ago. I haven't seen or heard him at all. But I could smell him. his sweet, wonderful, beautiful scent.

Of course, another problem had made itself known; Erika. After my rejection of her during her heat, she'd become insatiable, demanding we do it every hour. She's probably trying to get pregnant; she wants to have a better claim to the title of Luna. After missing out on her heat, there's little chance she'll be fertile enough to get pregnant.

Scott had taken over many of my main duties, allowing me to spend more time at the hospital. That only left my parents. They'd been very adamant about meeting my mate. I'd have to tell them sooner or later, but I'd rather not do it with Lewis in this state.

---

After one long, agonising, painful week, the doctor had come to see me about Lewis's recovery.

"So? How is he?"

"He's improving greatly. Hasn't been talking much, but he had regained the little color in his skin, and has eaten a lot. Unfortunately, we haven't told him yet."

"Told him? About what?... Oh..."

The baby. They hadn't told him yet. The doctor continued.

"We haven't because the whole reason he's been eating is to feed it. I believe that if we tell him, he'll stop eating. But, I have a feeling that deep down, he knows his child is gone. He just doesn't have the courage to admit or accept it. He's trying to hide in his fantasy." I swallowed. "But... I can still see him, right?"

The doctor looked at me, then at the door. He shook his head. "As I said before, he's trying to deny the truth. If you go to see him, he'll be forced to deal with what really is, and won't be able to handle it. It's best you wait until after we tell him."

"When will that be?!"

The doctor shrugged. "Tomorrow, next week, next month... It's hard to say. He's been doing well physically, but his mental state..."

I sighed. "Can I just... Look at him? Through the door crack?" The doctor bit his lip. "Okay. Don't let him see you, though."

I grinned, hopping up and glancing through the door. Lewis was awake, looking much better than he had before. However, he continued to look down, his lips moving slowly as he rubbed his stomach. He really believes that his child lived? Congratulations, Silas, you are officially the worst person on the planet.

Even my wolf is against me in trying to get Lewis back. You've already ruined his life. Why make it worse?

I'm trying to fix it okay?! I realize I've made a mistake, and I'm trying to make it at least a little better.

I turned to the doctor. "Is there... Any way he'd ever be fertile again?" The doctor thought for a moment. "I'll look into it," he whispered. "There's no absolute answer, though. But I'll look."

I thanked him and watched him leave. So? What ware you gonna do? Even if there's a chance he can get pregnant, what makes you think he'd be willing to let you impregnate him? I swallowed. I... Hadn't thought of that. Even so, there's little chance he'd ever get fertile again. I don't have to worry about that until it is confirmed that he can get pregnant.

... So you're just going to put it off? It's bound to come up at one point. And another thing; what makes you think he'll accept us when he finally regains his sanity? There's no way he'd want us after we put him through all that!!

Quit being so pessimistic! I'm trying to think.

I thought, running through various ideas until I came to a conclusion. We just have to be better than we were last time! If he doesn't want to recognize us, doesn't that mean we can be someone completely different?

My wolf sighed. This is not going to end well...