Chapter 16

Lewis's POV

~Five Years Later~

I counted out the change for the customer, handing him the receipt and the bag and waving him away. The next customer was in front of me before I could even blink.

This is normal. This is how it should be.

After leaving the pack, I made my life as a human. I got a job, got a home; I have made my place in the world of humans, and even finished school. Of course, being a werewolf, I had other needs. My heat, wanting to shift and run, so I joined another pack as well. A pack that lived with the humans, and integrated themselves. They were more than happy to spare a place for me. Unlike some I used to know...

I shook my head. Focus on this. Nothing that happened before will happen again. But... I looked down at my stomach, thinking of the long scar. I did it. That was the condition. I told the pack about my scenario, and that was the condition. Get my womb replaced. It was damaged, infected; they wanted to make sure I wouldn't get hurt because of it.

I think it makes the problem worse, but the Alpha, Jordan, reassured me. Of course, it didn't help. Almost every male seemed interested in being close to me. The Luna called them 'mateless idiots,' and told me to stay with the females.

When my shift ended, I went back to the pack house. The Luna greeted me, leading me back to my room. He claimed it was to keep an eye on me, despite the fact that I've been here for so long already. "The rejection of your mate isn't something to be taken lightly. You never know when you'll do something you regret." As the Luna says.

But I don't care anymore. I've put him out of my, except to hate and scorn him. His face is completely gone, and I can't even recall his voice when he held me, the one good memory of him I remember.

Josef was waiting at my door, and I smiled. He held out his arms, allowing me to fall into his hug. The Luna rolled his eyes. "Keep it in your room... Lovebirds." I blushed furiously while Josef smiled suggestively. He wrapped his arms around my waist and pulled me inside the room.

We sat next to each other on the bed, enjoying the other's company until Josef spoke. "How was work?"

"Okay. Really slow at first, but it picked up."

Sitting me in his lap, Josef buried his face in my neck. "Finally," he said, his voice husky. "We're alone." I smiled, putting my hands over his around my waist. Josef is my... Second chance mate? I didn't know what to call it. His sweet scent wafted through the room and I sighed. I assumed that's what it was. I love his scent, and he felt... Right. From what I remember about a mate bond, he truly is my new mate.