Chapter 12

Silas's POV

"Why'd you do it?"

I swallowed, looking at Lewis. "I-"

"Alpha Silas!"

The doctor burst in, cutting off my reply. Lewis turned, burying himself under the blanket. The doctor had a frantic look on his face. "We... We found one."

"One... What?"

The doctor gestured with his hand and I took one last glance at Lewis before following him out the door. "What did you find that could be so important it interrupted my time with my mate?"

"We... We found a donor. A male womb. In good condition."

I stopped. "So... He can get pregnant again? Have my child?"

The doctor nodded. "Um... There's just one thing..."

"What is it?"

"He... He has to have the surgery this week, preferably today or tomorrow. Otherwise the womb will rot. And, there is a small chance the surgery will not work."

My eyes narrowed. "How little a chance?"

"Well, because Lewis is in such a state, he might reject the womb. There is another possibility he might not be able to take the donor, because it was just a random male womb. We'd have to run a diagnostic test and then work from there."

"What do I need to do?"

"Find someone he trusts. Someone who can get him to do the surgery. Someone who's not you. He reacted violently last time, so I don't want him to refuse the surgery because you're the one suggesting it."

I sighed. Another thing I can't do for my mate. I feel really useless, and I'm the one who's the cause of all of this. I want to be able to do something to fix this. You've done enough. Just let the professionals handle this.

I growled, slamming my fist on the wall. The doctor jumped, about the speak when I cut him off. "... Fine. Call Scott and give him the details. Have him handle this." Can't I do this? I can get close and apologize to Lewis, and convince him. Two birds with one stone!

Yes but can you do it over the time span of twenty-four hours?

My wolf is right. There's no way I'd be able to convince him fast enough when he started crying the minute he saw me. I looked into the doorway at Lewis sleeping quietly.

Lewis... I'm sorry.

Scott's POV

I blinked at the doctor. "You... Want me to persuade him? Me?!"

"Well, you're the only one he's most likely to trust, seeing as you didn't... Bully... Him, and treated him kindly."

But had I really? Had I treated him kindly? I could have stopped this entire thing, and I didn't. Do I really have the right to be his trusted friend? Even now, I'm only getting close to him to force him to so something so Silas will feel better about himself.

The doctor and Silas looked at me hopefully. I'm the Beta, I serve the Alpha, I'm the 'good guy,' I am trying to help. But I'm not. Not really. I'm just a pawn, used to get rid of the guilt the pack feels for Lewis. No one would even care if they weren't involved.

"What do you want me to do? Walk up to him and tell him he needs to get his womb replaced so his ex-mate can mate with him and give him another child so we can not feel so guilty?"

The two blinked. "You want to... Tell him? Can't you just, make up a scenario that he'll believe?" Normally, I wouldn't be surprised if Silas said something like this. Except, it was the doctor who suggested it. "Wait, you want to lie to him?!"

"Whatever will get him pregnant again."

"You want to trick him, then mate with him?! Just so you won't feel guilty?!"

"Of course not. I want a child, too."

"Oh, I'm sorry. So you want to lie to him, mate with him, and take his child?!"

I stared at them. They couldn't possibly do this. Didn't they feel guilty enough? Couldn't they just ask him and see what Lewis wants? I shook my head. "I'm not going to do this. I refuse to lie to him."

Silas growled. "He's my mate. Are you saying you don't want to help my mate?"

"Help him? You only want to clear your conscience. You want nothing to do with Lewis."