Chapter 15

Silas's POV

"My mate is a guy."

My mother seemed to stop for a moment, running through my words. "A male?"

"Yes."

She was silent another moment before a huge grin broke out. "That's wonderful! When do we get to meet him? He is the future Luna, after all."

I swallowed a lump of guilt. "Y-you don't."

Her excitement faded. "Why not?"

"Because I-"

I looked at Scott who urged me to continue. He wanted me to tell her about Lewis, now he wants me to finish the story. "I... Rejected him."

A resounding slap rang through the room. My head turned slightly with the impact, my cheek already beginning to burn. My mother's hand was outstretched, anger evident in her eyes.

"How could you?! You don't get another mate! Why would you do such a thing?!"

"Because... I..." I sighed. "I didn't want to accept a guy being my mate."

Another slap. "You don't get to choose or accept! It's your wolf that does! Is he still there?!"

"Yes, my wolf is still there, but..."

"But what?"

"... Lewis's wolf isn't."

My mother clapped a hand to her mouth, a sob slipping out. Her eyes widened after she heard me, sinking to her knees. Her shoulders shook and tears fell. Guilty​ wasn't even a way to describe how bad I felt. I hurt Lewis. I hurt Scott. I hurt my mother. Suddenly, I felt a pain in my chest. I cried out, falling to the floor. My wolf was immediately explaining the situation.

Lewis has crossed over our borders. He's no longer a part of the pack.

"No... No!" My voice was low and my throat felt dry. My mother looked up, her tears streaking her cheeks. "W-what happened?"

"L-Lewis... He... He left."

We were all silent, the pain in my chest echoing and throbbing. "Why, Silas? Why would you do such a thing?" My mother asked.

I growled in frustration, hating having to answer the same question. "I don't know okay?! I don't know what came over me, or what made me think I'd be better off without him. I was just... Not thinking. But when I found out about the child, and the-"

"Child? He's pregnant?!"

"Was, mother... He was pregnant."

"Oh." Was all she said. Her excitement died out, and the same sadness returned. "You're going to get him, right?"

"I... I have to, don't I?"

"Maybe you should wait," said Scott. "I mean, he's been through a lot. Let him calm down and get readjusted, okay? The last thing we need is him thinking you're going to drag him back and torture him. He deserves a break. Being rejected, thrown out, left to die, found pregnant, loss of wolf, having to cope with the loss of his child; there's only so much one mind can take."

Scott was right. I have to give him some space. But... "But what if someone takes him while I leave him alone?"

"Then, you'll have to deal with it. You can go and see him when you both are older, and more rational. It would be better, right? Besides, he won't be able to. The only one he'll want, rejected or not, is you. It's part of the bond, and never leaves. It stays with his wolf and- well in this case, it would stay with him. In the back of his mind."

They did their best to reassure me, then turned away and left me alone. I didn't blame them. Right now, I wasn't even fit to be a part of this pack let alone lead it as the Alpha. But, at this point, I just wanted my Luna, my mate back. 'The only one he'll want, rejected or not, is you.'

I hope you're right, Mom.