eighteen - sky blue eyes

(remember to vote for quicker updates!)

Did anyone ever say work was fun? I mean, I'm not one to talk because my job may be just about the easiest job on the planet, but it could also be quite stressful.

On certain days, the shop could be packed with people and on other days it could be like a ghost town. And Mary wasn't big on hiring many employees, so everyone she did hire usually got long hours. Except for me because I'm still in school but I did work overtime a couple of times.

     The clock on the wall adjacent to me struck nine o'clock, letting me know it was now time to close up shop.

I walked to the store door and twisted the open sign to closed. I then went on to continue with my routine duties for closing. I wiped down the countertop, organized all albums in the correct order, and shut off the quite music being emitted through the whole store.

I walked to the back room and grabbed my coat and bid goodbye to Mary before heading out. I looked around outside and spotted Lillian in her car across the street. I looked both ways down the street before crossing the street and getting into her car.

     "Thanks for picking me up," I smiled towards my best friend to which she simply nodded her head and shrugged. She put the car in drive then looked for any cars coming before heading on our way to get some coffee.

     "How was work?" She spoke up, making a left onto the next street.

     "Good, I guess. Slow day today."

     We sat the next ten minutes in peaceful silence as we dealt with the late night traffic. Lillian was able to maneuver herself in and out of the traffic getting us to the coffee shop.

She parked the car in a open parking space, then we got out and headed inside, the smell of brewed coffee hitting us right in the face.

"What do you want? I'll get it," she questioned, looking over her shoulder as she stood in line.

"Decaf, milk and two sugars," I responded. I nodded gratefully and made my way to our usual booth in the back corner of the shop.

I texted my mother in the process to let her know where I was. Sometimes she gets a little paranoid when I don't arrive home right away after work. I'll forget to text her or call her and then she thinks I'm being kidnapped or brutally murdered, which is why she's having me start driving so I can then get a car and then I have a getaway vehicle if someone were to attack me. I think she's a bit ridiculous but I can't necessarily blame her, today is different than thirty years ago.

After two minutes, Lillian finally arrived to the booth and slid me my coffee. I made sure to blow on it a little to cool it a bit before taking a sip. I have bad luck with burning my tongue because of coffee.

I glanced up at my best friend and saw a frown line her face. She looked down at her coffee with sad eyes, and because of my great vision, I could see water brim the tear ducts.

"Hey, hey, what's wrong?" I asked softly, grabbing ahold of her hand.

She looked up to me which caused a tear to drop down her tan her cheeks. She furiously wiped it away before speaking up. "Oh, nothing. Everything's fine."