thirtyfive - his pretty little face

I woke up the next day with determination present in my mind.

It really wasn't my place to know the story. But curiosity got the best of me. And I know the saying goes curiosity killed the cat, but if I didn't find out the truth, I think that would kill me.

My brother had been out of the house since early that morning. I don't know what for seeing as he usually gets up around noon if he didn't have school. But his last day of school was upcoming and I don't think he had anymore morning classes.

This was probably for the better though. I could work out a way this situation wouldn't be so awkward. It was a heavy subject.

     My mother had made me run errands with her all day. By the time we got home from grocery shopping, and going to the mall, and returning mail at the post office, I felt exhausted.

     My brother has yet to return home, and I was getting tired of waiting around for him. I asked my mom on where he could be and she just said he some catch up to do before his finals next week. I could tell he just told her that lie because never did my brother study even if it was for college exams.

     Slowly the week had passed, and not once did I have enough time to confront my brother. I don't know if he was purposely trying to ignore me or if it had just been by coincidence, but my patience was wearing thin. I had barely seen or talked to much of Luke that week. Olivia was on a family vacation. Lillian, I still wasn't talking to. Even Ashton barely showed up to work that week. His grandmother said he was sick.

     It was like I was the black pague and everyone was trying to avoid me.

School was basically my only option of entertaining myself this upcoming week. And that was saying something. I did have my birthday to look forward to on Saturday. That was motivation this week and that depressed me even more. I had never been a fan of my birthdays. Never a big celebrator. But I could just tell this birthday was going to be a special one. I was turning eighteen after all. An official adult. And that was amazing. Albeit, I'm sure my mom would still control my life.

I trudged my way through the Monday halls. Kids were still as tired as can be. But that was relatable. I made my way into my history class, sitting down in my usual seat. What I wasn't expecting however was Lillian to sit down right beside me.

     "Uh– hey," I began, looking at her with furrowed brows.

     "I'm tired of not talking to each other. I can't function without my best friend anymore. I just, I need you," she ranted, looking me dead in the eyes.

     I didn't know what to say to this. Ever since the day she came to my house, Lillian and I have been in this limbo. An in between state of our friendship. Quite honestly, I don't know where I even want our relationship to go anymore. First fighting, I wanted her back so badly. But now, after this long, after all this turmoil and separation, I could see my life without her.

     "Lillian," I started, but was cut off by the first bell ringing and our teacher beginning the review for our final exam.

She looked ready to murder our teacher but quickly decided against it. She was probably itching to what I had to say. This was better though. At least I had more time to formulate what I could say to her.

That class dragged on slower than usual. The learning process was usually a bore as is; but the review of all that boring stuff was just the epitome of drowsiness. I nodded off maybe about three times.

Class ended not soon enough. I was ready to bolt but Lillian caught onto my actions holding me back.

"Please, let's talk," she begged, clutching her books in her hands.