Scene 12 to 16 The Shadowkeeper's Wrath

Sc. 12 INT - BRIGID & LACHLAN'S BEDROOM - FARMHOUSE - NIGHT 

The window is open just a crack and rain is drumming down hard, outside. Brigid is sleeping fitfully in her bunk. 

A shimmering mist seeps into the room and snakes up to Lachlan's bed. The old woman's face forms again in the mist and she hovers over Lachlan, studying him. Brigid wakes and her eyes slam open at the sight of the woman's glittering form over her brother. 

Frozen in terror, Brigid watches as hands form from the mist and the hag gently lift a ghostly, twinkling form of Lachlan from his body. When Lachlan's soul is fully detached, the watery hag embraces him and he disappears into her misty body. 

THE SHADOWKEEPER turns and meets Brigid's eyes with a dangerous smile. She floats across the void between the two bunks and hovers over the terrified girl. The creature lifts Brigid's pendant in one wet hand. She whispers to Brigid in a voice like the rushing of water. 

SHADOWKEEPER: Fair trade, you think? 

The Shadowkeeper reaches her ghostly hand out to Brigid's face and taps her forehead. 

SHADOWKEEPER: Sleep. 

Instantly, Brigid drops back to sleep and the Shadowkeeper dissolves into a mist and whips out of the window. 

Sc. 13 EXT - FARMYARD - NIGHT 

The Shadowkeeper streaks through the farmyard, frightening the chickens and the cow as she passes, untouched by the driving rain beginning to flood the yard. 

Sc. 14 EXT - FORESTED HILLSIDE - NIGHT 

The Shadowkeeper insinuates itself through the trees. 

Sc. 15 EXT - THE GREEN CHAPEL - FORESTED HILLSIDE - NIGHT 

The Shadowkeeper enters the glade and dives into the pool. The pool bubbles as though boiling for a few moments till the mist disappears. 

Sc. 16 INT - SHADOWKEEPER'S CAVERN - NIGHT 

An enormous rock cavern, lit only by the reflections from an eerily radiant lake covering it's floor. A fog hovers over the water, concealing the source of the light. Rapidly, the fog thickens and the Shadowkeeper's hag face forms, covering the lake at first, then lifting from the water, pulling her misty body behind her in a contorted, undulating dance. 

As the Shadowkeeper coils around, the lake is occasionally revealed - it is an horrific soup of sleeping, floating Shadows. The Shadows are dressed in night-wear from every era. 

From within the tumult, Lachlan's sparkling soul is raised into the air and then dropped through the mist and into the water with a SPLASH. 

The sound of rippling water echoes around the cavern walls as Bradan,  an ancient salmon with scales like pearly armor, surfaces, speaks in a deep, silvery voice, 

BRADAN: Another, my Lady? 

The Shadowkeeper continues her luxuriant writhing. 

SHADOWKEEPER: Another thief. 

Bradan nudges the sleeping, shimmering figure of Lachie. 

BRADAN: This one is a child! 

SHADOWKEEPER: As is his thieving sister. 

BRADAN: He is heavy with grief, it is likely his sister shares it. 

SHADOWKEEPER: Then her tears will be rich and her debt to the pool will be quickly repaid. 

BRADAN: A grieving child is unpredictable, she may come after him. 

The Shadowkeeper scoffs. 

SHADOWKEEPER: A Champion? 

BRADAN: Why not? 

SHADOWKEEPER: This world has forgotten or twisted all the old stories, Bradan. There can be no more Champions.