Scene 33 and 34 The Champions Prepare

Sc. 33 EXT - STABLES - FORTRESS OF THE HUNT - DAY 

A black horse, NIGHT SKY, much smaller than those in the yard, stands restlessly in a stall, watching the bustle in the yard. 

Brigid, wearing her quiver and carrying her bow, follows Waylan into the stall. 

WAYLAN: This is Night Sky. 

BRIGID: Hello, Night Sky, I'm Brigid. 

Night Sky snorts. 

BRIGID: Doesn't she want to talk to me? 

WAYLAN: Only some animals can speak in the human tongue but she can understand you. 

Brigid approaches Night Sky and extends the back of her hand to the horse. 

BRIGID: I've never ridden before but I need to find my brother. Will you carry me? 

Night Sky steps forward and nuzzles her hand. 

WAYLAN: That means 'yes'. 

Brigid pats Night Sky's neck. 

BRIGID: Thank you. 

Waylan smiles fondly at the young girl but stifles it quickly as she turns to beam at him. 

WAYLAN: Well done. Now we'll have to get her ready quickly, it's almost midday. 

Sc. 34 EXT - GATEWAY - FORTRESS OF THE HUNT- DAY 

With all of the saddled and adorned horse following, Waylan leads Brigid and NIGHT SKY to the front of the thatched long-house. Large double doors face a colossal wooden gate across the cobbled courtyard. 

The long-house doors swing open, and a motley group of WARRIORS emerges. There is chaos for several moments as men and horses pair off and the men mount their steeds. Brigid scans the group of scarred, rugged men and takes a step closer to Waylan's side. 

Each warrior wears one of Waylan's silver bows and a quiver of his arrows slung over their shoulders. Assorted historical costumes and armor cover their powerfully built bodies. Brigid glances down and grimaces at her twinkling pajamas. 

BRIGID: Which one is the Lord of the Hunt? 

WAYLAN: If you prove yourself to him, he will make himself known. Now up you get. 

Brigid turns to Night Sky and grasps the reins and attempts to get her left foot into the stirrup. Waylan smiles and helps her up into the saddle. 

BRIGID: Thank you. 

Waylan hands her the ornate, silver reins. 

WAYLAN: Now, whatever happens, you'll be fine if you keep your feet in the stirrups. 

Brigid stands in the stirrups to test them. 

BRIGID: Okay. 

WAYLAN: Now go on. It's nearly time. 

Brigid follows his nod and sees that the mounted warriors have formed into lines facing the gateway. 

WAYLAN: As a new Champion, your place is front and center. 

Brigid stares at him in horror. Waylan gives Night Sky a gentle slap and Brigid balances gingerly as the horse sets off for the front line. 

The motion calls the attention of several warriors and they watch in growing amusement as the small girl on the small horse makes her way bravely toward their group. 

Chortling spreads through the crowd of warriors as Brigid reaches the front line and Night Sky turns to make her way down it. Unsure, Brigid glances back at Waylan for support. Waylan gives her a smile and a nod of encouragement. 

Brigid returns Waylan's smile, gathers her courage and urges Night Sky down the line of towering mounted warriors, her head held as high as her nervousness will allow. Several of the warriors note the girl's connection with Waylan and check themselves and urge those still laughing to stop. 

Night Sky reaches the center of the line and a large Roman and a red-haired, woad-painted warrior move their massive stallions to make room as the small horse takes her place. 

A HUNTING HORN sounds from beyond the gate. 

Rather than levering outward, the enormous gate begins to slide down into the ground. With a startling clatter, the Champions come to attention in their saddles and the horses become restless. 

Night Sky tenses. Brigid clutches the reins and tests the stirrups. 

The gate drops out of sight revealing a sheer drop down to fields below. Brigid's eyes widen in terror as the warriors around her give an almighty ROAR and the horses, Night Sky with them, jerk forward and gallop over the edge.