Scene 43 to 45 The Paths of the Lost

Sc. 43 EXT - PATHS OF THE LOST - NIGHT 

Brigid clambers down the inside of the living wall, jumping the last couple of feet to the path. She wipes her hands and opens her mouth to speak to herself then, remembering, clamps it shut. She peers down the path one way, then the other and sets off with a shrug. 

Not far down the path, she sees the Shadow of a tall MAN dressed in a suit. The Shadow man sees her too and strides angrily toward her. 

SHADOW MAN: Nurse! 

Brigid jumps in fright and clamps her teeth together as he approaches her. 

SHADOW MAN: Where's my wife? She was in an accident. 

Brigid lowers her head and tries to get past but he blocks the narrow corridor. 

SHADOW MAN: Don't just ignore me. I've been here hours and no one will tell me anything! 

Brigid stares up at him wide eyed, her jaw clamped shut. 

SHADOW MAN: I'm going to make a complaint - I don't pay health insurance to be treated like this! 

He storms past Brigid. Brigid gathers her courage and continues down the path. 

A little further down the path, the Shadow of a young MOTHER sits cross-legged in the middle of the path. The woman is hunched over and rocking, holding her arms as though she has a baby in them. 

SHADOW MOTHER: It's okay! It's alright! Everything's going to be fine! It's okay! It's alright! Everything's going to be fine! 

She sees Brigid approaching. 

SHADOW MOTHER: Help me, please! 

Brigid's eyes glaze as she shuffles around the woman. 

A few meters further down the path, the Shadow of a four-year-old BOY appears suddenly on the path. His arms hanging by his side, sobbing at the ground. 

SHADOW BOY: Mommy? Mommy, wake up! 

Sparkling Shadow-tears begin to roll down Brigid's cheek as she steels herself and walks on. 

SHADOW BOY: Mommy, I'm tired and I can't find boo-bear. 

Brigid breaks into a run but hears more SOBBING in the distance and slows again. She turns and considers going back the other way but doesn't want to face that, either. She continues. 

Rounding a corner, sees the Shadow of a woman pacing away from Brigid, hugging herself as she sobs. The woman turns to pace back again. It is Julia. 

BRIGID: Mommy! 

Brigid slaps her hand over her mouth and stares silently. 

JULIA: I should never have brought them here...I should have taken Brigid painting... I can't do this, David! I can't do this alone! 

Tears stream down Brigid's face and she claps her hands over her ears and runs past her weeping mother. 

Sc. 44 EXT - ELSEWHERE ON THE PATHS OF THE LOST - NIGHT 

A drop of water dribbles down the bark of the twisted limbs of the living wall. The Shadowkeeper'S hag face forms in the bulging end of the droplet. 

The water makes a gravity-defying turn and snakes along the bark until it nears a furry, animal ear. The Shadowkeeper leaps the gap and trickles into the ear which twitches then shakes and bucks. 

A PIG SQUEAL sears the air. 

Sc. 45 EXT - PATHS OF THE LOST - NIGHT 

The paths are now thick with Shadow people, all of them sobbing, and desolate. Elbowing her way through the thickening crowd, Brigid is suddenly aware of a FEROCIOUS SQUEALING in the distance. 

She looks up to see a wild boar bucking and charging down the path, goring Shadows, sending glittering life-force streaming into the air, leaving the injured Shadows fainter for the loss. 

The other Shadows are oblivious to the danger as the pig makes his way down the path, tusking Shadow after Shadow. Brigid opens her mouth to call a warning but remembers she must not speak and closes it again. 

Desperate to warn them, Brigid waves her arms wildly, pointing and gesticulating but no one takes any notice. 

Except the boar. 

The boar slowly turns from its last prey to face Brigid down the narrow pathway. Pig and child lock eyes. 

Brigid turns and runs for her life. 

The boar charges through the other Shadows, tossing them out of the way as he gallops at Brigid. 

Brigid ducks and weaves between the other Shadows as she stumbles along the path. The boar gains. Knowing she is too slow, Brigid desperately scans the wall of tree-limbs for an exit. 

Brigid hears the CRACK of breaking tree limbs then a STARTLED SQUEAL. She looks back. Her eyes widen in terror. 

Two giant, white-feathered bird legs, as thick and as tall as the trees, are reaching down through the canopy, the body of the bird hidden by the foliage above. 

Talons swoop toward her, one holding the squealing, struggling boar. The empty talon closes its claws around her and plucks her from the path. 

The forest floor plummets away.