Scene 30 A rabbit in a wall

Sc. 30 EXT - OUTSIDE FORTRESS WALLS - DAY 

The Sun is still behind the fortress making it loom darkly and leaving the Hawthorn blossoms closed. Brigid frowns up at the massive structure. There is no obvious means of entry and the fortress stretches all the way to either cliff-edge. 

BRIGID: This has to be it. 

She approaches the wall and moves along it carefully peering through the thorny hedge, but all she can see are solid stones beyond. She walks backward and cranes her neck to scan the wall above but there is nothing of significance. 

BRIGID: Hello? Hello? Is anyone there? 

Her voice only echoes back at her. 

BRIGID: Bird? Oh come on! What do I do!? 

Tired and angry, she kicks at a large rock but her foot goes through it and she stumbles. It gives her an idea. 

Brigid explores the hedge till she finds a thinner patch, where the stone is closer to her. Carefully, she reaches into the bush, snaking her hand and arm between most of the thorns till she reaches the stone wall. Her fingers sink into the wall. 

BRIGID: Okay then. There must be somewhere that I can get through the hedge. 

Brigid walks to one side of the wall and begins to walk back along it - prodding at the hedge as she goes, finding resistance all the way along. 

BRIGID: Oh come on! You look ancient - you can't be totally healthy! 

SFX: BABY'S CRY 

Brigid frowns and listens intently. 

SFX: BABY'S CRY 

BRIGID: A baby? 

The cries continue and Brigid turns to look in the forest but the cry is coming from the hedge. She turns back and follows the sound and sees movement in a dark clump of branches high in the hedge. 

BRIGID: How did you get up there? 

The clump shakes again and there is a high-pitched cry as though in sudden pain. 

BRIGID: Okay. Okay. Don't move. I'm coming. 

She looks up at the wall and its vicious, sparkling thorns. 

BRIGID: It just like a lot of little injections. Lachie does it every day. 

Brigid gulps, approaches the hedge and, gingerly splaying her fingers to avoid Shadow-thorns if she can, begins to climb. 

It is slow going and Brigid pricks herself over and over but she grits her teeth and keeps climbing, spurred on by the crying above. Tiny points of light leak from the wounds in her hands, feet and occasionally knees. 

BRIGID (Chanting): It's not blood. It's not real. It's not blood. It's not real. 

Almost ten feet up Brigid glances down then clings to the hedge. 

BRIGID: Oh wow. That's high. 

She chants to herself as she climbs. 

BRIGID: Don't look down. Don't look down. 

Brigid nears the clump of branches. 

BRIGID: It's okay. I'm here. 

She boosts herself the last foot to peer into the matted foliage and is surprised to find the crying is coming from a young hare. 

BRIGID: Oh! Well that makes more sense. I think. Now don't move. 

Brigid wriggles her hand between the thorny wood and under the hare's belly. As she tries to lift the creature, only it's Shadow moves under her hand, just as Lachlan's soul had been removed from his body. The creature cries in pain. Brigid drops it and quickly withdraws her hand. The hare's Shadow quickly settles back into place. 

BRIGID: Oh no! Sorry! Sorrysorrysorry... How do I help you? 

Brigid studies the area around the hare and sees how it must have entered, the thick, central trunk is quite free of thorns and makes a path down through the hedge for anything small enough. 

Brigid reaches one hand into the bush and clicks her fingers behind the hare. 

BRIGID: Through this way. See. Just back up a bit. 

The animal tries to take a hop toward her. 

BRIGID: No. Back here. The other way. 

Brigid clicks her finger faster but the young animal disentangles itself and continues to struggle toward her. 

BRIGID: No! Backwards! Stop! 

The hare wriggles through the last thorns and leaps for Brigid. 

BRIGID: NO! 

Instinctively Brigid reaches to catch it but she yanks her hand back and swings her body out of the way, piercing her back painfully on thorns as she stops herself from falling. 

Brigid watches in horror as the hare somersaults toward the ground. 

The hare lands safely on its feet and hops into the forest. 

Brigid sobs relief and sinks back into the hedge. 

BRIGID: Ow! Oh... 

Tears of exhaustion come to her eyes and trace twinkling paths down her cheeks. 

BRIGID: Stupid little thing. 

As Brigid maneuvers herself back into a position facing the hedge, sunlight creeps over the top of the wall. Brigid squints up at the glare and is met with the sight of the Hawthorn blossoms opening like a great white wave down the wall. 

Brigid sniffs back her tears and smiles, touched by the beauty, then stops and stares at something to her left. A small section of the hedge, not far from where she now stands, is neither covered in white blossoms, nor twinkling with Shadow Light. 

BRIGID: There! 

She scrambles across to the dead section of hedge. She reaches out to the woody plant and her fingers move through it. 

She allows herself a broad smile and swings herself into the thorny hedge.