Scene 55 and 56 The Lord and The Dragon

Sc. 55 EXT - SHADOWKEEPER'S ISLAND - NORTH SEA - DAY 

Brigid and Hamish rise through the clouds covering the mountain, clinging to the Shadowkeeper'S head. 

SHADOWKEEPER: Disperse! 

Instantly, the clouds clear and the midday sun glares down on the ocean as far as the two children can see. 

The Shadowkeeper snakes her head about, scanning the island. 

SHADOWKEEPER: No... 

A plump, shimmering tear swells at the corner of her eye. 

SHADOWKEEPER: I was protecting the pool... I was... 

The giant creature begins a low KEENING. The RING of stone on stone once again fills the air. The great serpent slides into the ocean, holding her head, and her passengers, high above the waves she creates. The Water Dragon circumnavigates the island and the mountain uncoils behind her. 

The last of the serpent's tail unwraps itself from the bank of the pool, gallons of sparkling, life-force-rich water floods the island, washing the sleeping Shadows with it. As they are deposited on the earth, they wake, scared and confused and begin to wander the island. 

BRIGID: We've got to find Lachie, hang on to me! 

HAMISH: We haven't got any berries! 

BRIGID: We still have to find him, he'll be terrified! 

Hamish wraps his arms around Brigid and she once again shape-shifts into the eagle-girl to carry him from the head of the giant serpent to the ground. 

BRIGID: You stay here, I'll see more as a proper eagle. 

Hamish nods then watches in awe as she folds her legs to her body and becomes a whole eagle and soars away. 

As the waters sink into the earth, grasses and wildflowers sprout over the island. From the base of each blackened tree stump, a glittering Shadow-tree sprouts. The once-dead tree trunks heal and grow with supernatural speed, leaves springing from newly grown branches. 

RAVEN (O.S.): Hey Champion! 

The Raven flutters by her ear. Brigid gives him an eagle-cry which almost sounds like "Hi!" 

RAVEN: Hamish has found Lachie. Follow me. 

Brigid nods awkwardly and follows the Raven, banking in sync with him, and they head back over the forest. The birds approach a newly-healed tree. Hamish is high in the tree's limbs, helping another shadow climb up into a broad fork - it's Lachie. 

Brigid squawks with delight and passes the Raven, reaching the tree in only a few, strong wing beats. 

Lachlan is startled by the giant bird swooping at him and then stunned when it lands and shakes itself into the form of his sister. Brigid throws her arms around him. 

BRIGID: Lachie!! Oh Lachie! 

LACHLAN: What?... How? 

Brigid addresses the Raven as it perches on a branch above them. 

BRIGID: Is it too late? Can they wait here if I fly back to the Blackbird and ask for more ber- 

The Lord of the Hunt appears, towering over the forest. 

HAMISH and LACHLAN: What is THAT!

BRIGID: The Lord of the Hunt. 

The giant, antlered man turns to the Dragon, his eyes blazing.