Scene 38 The Lord of the Hunt

Sc. 39 EXT - STAG'S GLADE - FOREST OF THE HUNT - DAY 

Brigid stumbles into the clearing. The Stag stands proudly, waiting for her. His physical body and Shadow are perfectly in sync, giving him an ethereal glow. 

The Stag snorts and lowers his antlers toward Brigid. She steps back and holds up her hands. 

BRIGID: I, I'm not going to hurt you. 

The Stag raises its antlers and looks at her slightly quizzically. She motions back toward the forest. 

BRIGID: The ah, the hunters are right behind me. They'll... 

Brigid stops and looks shamefully at the ground. 

BRIGID: ...be here soon. 

Brigid waits, avoiding looking at the Stag as it watches her intently. 

A rustling comes from the forest. Brigid looks hopefully toward the noise. The Stag follows her gaze and studies the forest. Night Sky grazes happily but no other hunters appear. 

Brigid sags, disappointed. She bites nervously at her lip. 

The Stag returns to watching her. 

RAVEN (O.S.): Psst! What are you waiting for? 

Startled, Brigid turns to the sound of the voice. The Raven is sitting on a low branch in the tree behind her. Brigid frowns at the bird as it twitches its head from side to side, getting a good look at her. 

BRIGID: What are you doing here? 

RAVEN: What do you think? We're here for the feast. 

BRIGID: We? 

Brigid looks further up the tree and sees more Ravens sitting in it. Each tree around the edge of the glade is heavy with Ravens. 

BRIGID: You're all waiting to eat him!? 

RAVEN: Don't look so horrified. It's part of the ritual. Anyway, we're carrion birds, how do you think we eat? Now come on. 

BRIGID: I'm not going to kill him. 

RAVEN: Of course you are. 

BRIGID: I can't! 

RAVEN: You have to! You won the race! 

Brigid's face falls. 

BRIGID: What? 

RAVEN: You were the first into the forest behind him. 

BRIGID: But... the others... 

RAVEN: As soon as you entered the forest, the others turned around. 

BRIGID: It I didn't know! I just wanted Night Sky to catch up with the hunters but she just kept going. 

RAVEN: Well, it's your duty now. no one else can do it. 

Brigid glares fiercely at the ground as tears well in her eyes. 

RAVEN: It has to be done or else the world will be off balance and - 

BRIGID: I know! Waylan told me - people will suffer. 

RAVEN: And you won't find your brother. 

She tears her eyes from the ground and risks a look at the Stag. The animal still stands patiently in the sunlight of the glade, his head held proudly, his antlers glinting gold his gentle eyes meet her gaze. 

Brigid grimaces and looks away. A tear rolls down her cheek. 

RAVEN (gently): It's what he's here for.