Scene 47 The Shadowkeeper Watches

Sc. 47 EXT - SHADOWKEEPER'S CAVERN - NIGHT

On the pool's surface, an image of the forest floor rising at a frightening pace. The image disappears and Shadowkeeper emerges from the water SCREAMING in frustration.

SHADOWKEEPER: That damned bird!

The Shadowkeeper undulates restlessly above the pool.

SHADOWKEEPER: She sensed me in the boar.

Bradan surfaces.

SHADOWKEEPER: She'll help her now.

Nervous, Bradan watches the rant in silence.

SHADOWKEEPER: Stupid pig! I could barley control it - the bird will hold a grudge for damaging those Shadows. I'll have to take care of her directly.

BRADAN: You'll challenge the Callie Oiche!?

SHADOWKEEPER: No, no! The girl!

BRADAN: Is that necessary?

SHADOWKEEPER: What?

BRADAN: Well, the pool is replenished, her mother's tears for her children have paid the girl's debt...

SHADOWKEEPER: Are suggesting I let her take him?

BRADAN: Well...I couldn't help but notice she didn't even reach for the berries - she has surely proven herself worthy.

SHADOWKEEPER: Worthy? Worthy! She has stolen from my pool - she will never be worthy!

The Shadowkeeper circles the fish menacingly.

SHADOWKEEPER: But if you offer your life in return I cannot deny the tradition...
The Salmon gulps and stares up at the hag in terrified silence. The Shadowkeeper gives short, mocking, chortle and withdraws.

SHADOWKEEPER: But you are right. She didn't even think about eating the berry to return. I underestimated her. I won't do it again.

The Shadowkeeper swamps the pool and disappears again.

Bradan dives below.