Scene 41 and 42 Deeper into the Forest

Sc. 41 EXT - FOREST OF THE HUNT - NIGHT 

A knot of ancient forest, the canopy virtually impenetrable even to moonlight. The Raven glides through a small gap between a low hanging limb and a thick, gnarled root. 

RAVEN: Come on. 

Brigid's shimmering foot appears through the same small gap, followed by her foot then her lower leg. 

BRIGID (muffled): This isn't... 

Brigid's hand feels its way over the root and her arm wraps itself tightly around it and she hauls herself up 

BRIGID: ...easy you know. 

Lying flat along the root, she rolls through the gap and right over the root, thudding to the forest floor a meter or so below. 

BRIGID: Ow. How much further? 

RAVEN: Not much. 

Brigid gets up and pats down her iridescent pajamas. 

BRIGID: You said that an hour ago. 

RAVEN: I underestimated how long it would take, I don't spend a lot of time with walkers. 

BRIGID: Anyway, I thought we were getting her to come to us. 

The Raven disappears from Brigid's two feet of visibility as she balances on a tree root, steadying herself against its giant trunk. 

RAVEN (O.S.): Here it is. 

Brigid hops unsteadily onto the next root. 

BRIGID: Where? 

RAVEN (O.S.): Hurry up! 

She turns toward his voice, jumps to the ground and ducks under another branch. 

The Raven is perched on a twig protruding high up from what appears to be a solid wall of gnarled limbs and roots. 

BRIGID: It's a dead end. 

RAVEN: Sshhh! Come up here. 

There is no lack of handholds as Brigid makes her way up to the Raven. 

Sc. 42 EXT - ENTRANCE TO PATHS OF THE LOST - NIGHT 

The Raven is sitting beside a hole in the living barrier which was not visible from the ground. 

RAVEN: Look. 

Brigid peers through the hole. 

BRIGID: A path! Yes! Where does it go? 

RAVEN: Nowhere in particular. The Callie Oiche hunts these paths at night. If you walk them, she will find you. 

BRIGID: Walk them to where? 

RAVEN: Doesn't matter. 

BRIGID: So, we just wander along and she'll come? 

RAVEN: You just wander along, yes. 

BRIGID: Aren't you coming with me? 

RAVEN: Only Shadows may walk the Paths of the Lost. 

BRIGID: The 'Paths of the Lost'?! 

RAVEN: It's just a name. You will be fine but you will see other Shadows, the Lost, you must not speak to them. 

BRIGID: Why? 

The Raven considers his words. 

RAVEN: Have you ever heard the expression: dying of a broken heart? 

She nods. 

RAVEN: The Shadows you will see are still conscious in the living world but they are losing themselves to grief. 

BRIGID: What will happen to me if I speak to them? 

RAVEN: Nothing will happen to YOU but if anything you say comforts THEM, in even the smallest way, they may decide that walking the paths is easier than living and they may choose to stay and let their lives wither away. 

BRIGID: They'll choose to die? 

RAVEN: They'll choose not to live - not fully and, eventually, they will die. 

BRIGID: What about the Callie Oiche? How will I know her if I can't ask? 

RAVEN: She will know you. 

BRIGID: How? 

RAVEN: She will know. Now, down you go. 

Brigid checks the berries are still in her pocket then climbs through the just-wide-enough gap.