Decisions

Maine blinked as she stared blankly at RJ's brown eyes. What did he just say? She wondered. He couldn't be serious, right? She could feel her heart thumping wildly. Her first instinct was to leap into his arms and shout "yes!" but she didn't want to sound too eager so she willed herself to stay calm. They stayed in that position for what seemed like eternity. Maine stayed as still as a statue until she recovered her bearings and grabbed hold of reality. This is not a fairytale Nicomaine. RJ is not a prince charming who will sweep you off your feet, she reprimanded herself. Slowly, she raised her arms and rested them on RJ's shoulders. Gently she pushed him away from her and thankfully he backed out willingly. When he was a good distance away from her, Maine wagged a finger at him. "Are you trying to pull a fast one on me?" she chastised him as she tried to pull a stern expression on her face.

Richard gave her a guilty look. "Did it work?" He asked with a grin.

Maine just shook her head and chuckled. Trust RJ to look like a child who was caught doing something naughty by his mother. "RJ, you can't joke about things like that" She scolded him.

Suddenly, RJ's expression turned serious. "I wasn't joking" He said in a soft voice.

Maine's face turned white as a sheet as soon as she comprehended what he was saying. "You're not?" she asked. RJ gave her a small smile and shook his head. She opened and closed her mouth several times. She was robbed of speech for a moment.

"Why me?" Maine blurted out after finally finding her voice still unbelieving that RJ would make such a proposal.

"Why not?" he answered her with a question of his own.

Why not? He's asking me why not? Maine marveled at his question. He had so many girls at his disposal. She'd bet he has a long list of random names and contact numbers. Though she had dreamed of it for so long, she never really thought that she would be in this position right now receiving a marriage proposal from RJ - even if it was all for the wrong reasons.

"You can have any girl at your beck and call RJ, girls who are prettier, taller and more sophisticated than I am. I'm sure they would die to have a chance to marry you. You don't have to settle for me." Maine said as she approached RJ.

Richard frowned at her comment. "I wouldn't say that I'd just be settling. You don't see yourself clearly Maine." she blushed at what he just said and had to look away.

Richard sat on the couch and motioned for Maine to sit with him. He was lost in thought for a while as he tried to think of the appropriate words to say. With a deep breath, he looked at Maine. "Marriage was never in my long term plans. I've never really given it much thought until my mother laid this challenge on me. But now that I'm forced to consider it, I know that I couldn't just choose any random girl to be my wife. If I am to spend the rest of my life with someone, I would want it to be with a girl who accepts me as I am and not one who's blinded by my status. You're one of my closest friends Maine and you know everything there is to know about me. I know that I don't have to pretend whenever I'm with you." Richard explained with a small smile. She felt warm all over as she listened to RJ's words. She was very happy to know that he valued her as a friend. She kept quiet as he continued. "You know that I've never believed in love, but if I were to get married, I would want it to be with a friend. Someone like you." He whispered.

Maine was quiet as she allowed RJ's words to sink in. She was happy and sad at the same time. Happy because RJ considers her as one of his closest friends and was willing to share his life with her but it also made her sad because in spite of what he was offering her she would never have his heart. Was she willing to settle for this?

Maine spoke up after quite some time. "I don't want you to lose the chance to lead the company. I know how important it is to you. I really want to help, but is it okay if I think about it for a while?"

"Of course" RJ said. "I'm not expecting you to give me an answer right now. I know that what I'm asking for is too much. Heck, it's your whole life we're talking about." RJ stood up, grabbed a stool and settled in front of her so they were face to face. "What I'm offering goes against all you believe in. You've always believed in fairytales and I'm scared that I'll be ruining everything for you. You deserve a man who would make all your dreams come true." He continued with an anxious tone in his voice.

"Don't worry about that." she assured him. "Let me think about it for a few day and I'll give you my answer when I'm ready"

"Okay, but don't rush. I don't mind if you take your time." RJ said with a small smile.

Maine looked at RJ once again and her heart went out to him. He looked so tired and haggard. She was sure that he hasn't been able to sleep well during the past couple of nights. He had dark circles under his eyes and his usually kept hair was in disarray. Slowly she stood up and RJ did the same.

"I have to go, it's getting late." She finally said.

"Let me drive you home." he offered.

"You don't have to. And besides, I want to take a walk and think things over, if that's okay" Maine replied. Richard nodded in understanding.

"Okay, but send me a message once you get home." He said. Maine nodded and headed towards the door. As she grasped the door knob, she heard RJ call out her name. She turned to him with an expectant look on her face.

"Thank you." He whispered.

Maine gave him a puzzled look. "What for?" She asked.

"For listening and understanding" He replied.

Maine gave him a wistful smile. "What are friends for?" She said and she turned around and headed outside.

As soon as she was outside, Maine took a deep breath and filled her lungs with the cool evening air. There was a chilly breeze that night so she wrapped her coat tighter against her. She started walking, her heels tapping against the hard tiled floors. She had to admit that RJ had left her with a very difficult decision to make. For years she had dreamed of being married to him and now that very dream has turned into reality. However Richard had been honest and straight forward in saying that he was not capable of love. He probably did love her but she knew that it was only as a friend. She on the other hand had fallen hopelessly and irrevocably in love with him. Would her love be enough for the both of them to make this marriage work somehow?

Maine sighed. She can't make this decision alone. She searched her purse for her phone and dialed Joyce's number.

"Hello" Joyce answered after the fourth ring.

"Joyce, are you busy tonight?" Maine asked.

"No I'm not, I just got home from work. Why?" She replied.

"I just want to talk to you about something." Maine admitted. "Is Kris home?"

"No, he's away on a business trip. Is there something wrong?" her best friend asked, her voice laced with concern.

"I just need some advice on something. Can I come over tonight?" Maine asked.

"Sure, I'll wait for you." Joyce replied.

"Thanks. See you in a while. Bye." Maine placed her phone back inside her bag and headed towards the taxi stop. She knew that her best friend has always frowned upon her feelings for RJ and she would definitely hit the wall once she finds out about his proposal but she needed her advice and hopefully hearing opposite views regarding the matter would help her make a better decision in the end.