A Misunderstanding

Maine stood at the steps of the Metropolitan Museum of Art and gazed at the huge structure in awe. It has been a week since she arrived in New York and she's finally decided to pay the famous museum a visit. She walked tentatively up the steps and entered the vast hall. It was a very busy time in the museum with a lot of people walking around. There were several groups of students on field trips and a couple of older people looking and appreciating the art works displayed. Maine headed towards the concierge and took a map to help her get around. She studied the map for awhile before deciding to head towards a room of paintings that perked her interest based on the description written on the brochure.

She finally reached the room and immediately looked around. Thanks to all the art books that her mother in law had given her, which she religiously read for the past couple of weeks, she is very much familiar with most of the art works displayed and was able to appreciate them more now that she's knowledgeable about their history.

Maine was completely engrossed with a particular painting as she studied the swirls of the paintbrush that the painter used that she did not notice a man come up beside her.

"It's an interesting painting isn't it?" The man spoke causing Maine to jump in surprise. She glanced towards her right and found a young man with blond hair and blue eyes standing beside her. He seemed to be around her age. Normally she would be wary talking to a complete stranger but this man exuded a peaceful aura that made her comfortable around him.

"Yes, I love how the painter used his brush strokes making the picture seem ethereal" she commented as she gazed back at the painting.

"You seem to know a lot about painting" the young man commented. "Are you an artist?"

Maine blushed at his question. "No, I've just read a lot of art books, that's all" Maine explained shyly.

The young man smiled at her. "I'm Warren Hunter by the way" he said as he held out his hand for a handshake.

"I'm Nicomaine Faulkerson" she replied as she accepted his hand for a handshake.

"Do you live here in New York?" He asked curiously.

"No, I'm just here for a visit. How about you?" she replied.

"I'm a true blue New Yorker. I was born and raised here" Warren said with a smile. "How do you like the city so far?" He inquired.

Maine was silent for awhile as she contemplated on what to say. "It's very interesting" she finally said. "I like how different it is from the Philippines where I came from. I love Central Park and just walking around the streets has given me a lot of new discoveries and insights about your culture"

"I know. New York is interesting that way. The people here are very diverse and you would really meet people from all walks of life" Warren commented.

"How long would you be staying here?"

"I'll be here for a month. I just arrived last week" Maine replied.

"I guess that would give you time to really roam around the city. If you want I can show you around" Warren offered as he gave Maine a warm smile. "Did you come here with someone?"

"No, it's just me. My husband is a bit busy from work and couldn't leave the country" she answered with a sad smile as she thought about Richard.

"That's too bad. What does your husband do?" He asked curiously.

"He runs a business back home but he's really a photographer by heart" Maine said proudly.

"A photographer?" Warren's ears perked up with interest. "I'm guessing he's the one who got you interested with the arts. What's your husband's name if you don't mind me asking?"