Epiphany

Richard grabbed his car keys as soon as he put the phone down. He had to get away. If he stayed in the house he was going to go crazy. He opened the front door and breathed in the early morning air. He was thankful for the shot of fresh air that filled his lungs. The pain in his heart was too much that it was suffocating him. He had a difficult time breathing and he took in short labored breaths as he rushed towards his car. It was as if a huge rock landed on his heart and the burden was too heavy to bear. He's never felt this way before and it felt like absolute torture. If only he could rip his heart out and take it out of his body maybe all of the pain that he was feeling would go away.

Richard sat on the driver's seat and banged the steering wheel in frustration. Is this how jealousy felt like? If it is then he doesn't like it at all. It was eating up his entire being and he couldn't think straight. He has never felt jealousy until now. All throughout his life he never had a reason to be jealous of anything. Women came and went and usually it was him who dumped them first when the novelty had already worn off. He has never allowed himself to be close enough to anyone or develop an attachment to them.

Richard struggled with his feelings as he turned on the engine and started driving away. He did not have a specific destination in mind. All he knows is that he has to leave. He kept the windows rolled down and relished on the cool breeze that whipped through his hair. He had the urge to press down on the gas pedal but he knew that it would not be a wise decision given his current state.

Richard wanted to shout out in frustration. What is wrong with him? This was so unlike him. He has always been able to keep his cool. He could not believe that all it took was a single statement from Maine to drive him over the edge.

I met someone... Maine's voice lingered in his head and repeated itself over and over like a broken tape recorder.

He couldn't understand why he was so jealous in the first place. Maine is his friend. Okay, so she's a friend who he couldn't stop kissing but still, she's his friend all the same. They have agreed to get married to fulfill his mother's condition but they also had an understanding that she can leave anytime she wanted to. Maine is not his possession. Then why does he feel so possessive of her? Why does he have the urge to break something just because another man caught her attention?

Richard felt lost and he knew who could help him find his way back. He made a sharp turn and headed towards their favorite lounge.

Jerald was playing a video game while Jake was listening to his Ipod when he entered the lounge. Both guys looked up at him in surprise since they were not expecting him to be there.

"Bro you look like hell!" Jerald commented as soon as he spotted his best friend. He scanned Richard from head to toe and noticed that his friend was not in his usual tiptop shape. His usual impeccable suit was wrinkled while his tie was askew. His hair was windblown. Most of all, the dark circles under his eyes were hard to miss and he looked exhausted as if he hasn't slept for several days.

Richard headed straight to the bar and got himself a drink. His friends looked at him in surprise as he downed a glass of Scotch in one gulp. As he was about to pour himself another glass, Jerald grabbed his arm and stopped him. He could sense that something was wrong and if that was the case their friend needed to stay sober in order to fix whatever it is.

"What's wrong?" Jerald asked in concern. He took the glass gently from Richard and led him towards the sofa where Jake was waiting with a worried look in his eyes.

"Did something happen to Maine?" Jake asked softly. He knew that only Maine can cause his friend to act this way.

Richard closed his eyes and leaned back to rest his head. He mumbled something that both Jerald and Jake did not catch.