Anima Gemella

Maine held her breath as Richard continued to gaze at her. The chants of the people around them seemed to have faded in the background. Kiss me! Maine screamed in her mind. A sexy smirk played on RJ’s lips as he finally bent down and claimed Maine’s lips with his. Maine released a contented sigh as soon as she felt RJ’s lips touch hers. The kiss started out innocent with RJ playfully nibbling on her lips. Finally, he deepened the kiss and Maine held on to him for dear life. Her knees felt like jelly and she would have buckled down if RJ was not holding her tightly.

Maine was out of breath as soon as RJ released her. The sound of the people cheering and clapping came back in full force as if someone pressed the mute button. She blushed at the thought of showing that much public display of affection but she couldn’t help but feel happy about the kiss. Their kisses were developing a certain kind of familiarity between them.

It was almost early evening when they bid goodbye to Giuliana and the rest of the people in the vineyard. Maine has extremely enjoyed their trip and she would miss all of the people that she met. They were very accommodating and they made her and RJ feel right at home.

Richard had gone ahead to the car and Maine was left to say goodbye to Giuliana. “Ciao” she said with a smile and leaned forward to give Giuliana a kiss on the cheek. It was the only Italian word that she knew which RJ himself taught her. Giuliana gave her a motherly smile and said goodbye as well. As Maine turned to go, Giuliana reached out and touched her arm. Maine looked back at her in surprise. Giuliana pointed to Richard who was on his way to their car and looked back at Maine as she placed her hand on her heart.

“Anima gemella” she whispered to Maine with a smile. Maine smiled back at her although she had no idea what the older woman said. After a last goodbye, Maine turned and followed RJ to the car.

Back at the villa the couple enjoyed a succulent dinner at the grand dining area. Maine had initially felt uncomfortable dining in such a big area with just the two of them present. Apparently there seemed to be no other guests aside from them. But then, the people from the villa created such a beautiful candle lit dinner which made the ambiance cozy and romantic.

“It’s so quiet.” she commented while they were having dinner.

“Well, we are the only people here apart from the staff.” RJ said with a smirk.

“Aren’t they expecting other guests?” Maine inquired. She finds it odd that the villa did not have any other guests during their peak season. Guests should be flocking in by now.

“My mother paid for the entire villa for the duration of our stay here.” Richard explained as he took a bite of his Fettucine Alfredo.

Maine’s eyes widened in surprise “Why would she do that?” She asked in disbelief.

“I guess she didn’t want us to be disturbed or something.” Richard replied with an amused smile on his face. Sometimes his best friend could be so naïve.

“But it doesn’t matter if there are people. After all our marriage…” Maine’s voice trailed off as she realized what she was about to say.

Richard was quiet for a moment as he set his fork down. “Of course it is, but my mother does not know that. And she doesn’t have to know that, right?” he finally said.

Maine just nodded in response. It was a little uncomfortable to discuss that aspect of their marriage. She was just RJ’s pretend wife and she was the one who brought up the idea of a marriage only on papers.

“Did you have fun today?” Richard asked trying to change the subject. He was also a little uncomfortable discussing the status of their marriage.