Meet the Parents

Maine was sprawled on her bed that night. Her gaze was fixed on the ring on her left hand. Trust RJ to surprise her like that. She never expected him to give her a ring at all. She reached out and softly caressed the glittering emerald cut diamond. She was still amazed at how RJ was able to make the perfect choice. She could never imagine anything better than what he had picked out for her.

She was engaged. She couldn't seem to stop marveling at that thought. More than that, she couldn't believe she was engaged to the one person she longed for the most but never thought she could have. This was like a dream... or a nightmare. Maine admitted that it could go either way, after all this was not exactly going to be a marriage made in heaven. She was still worried about RJ's womanizing ways but he gave her his word and she chose to trust him.

Maine still had no idea how to break the news to her parents though. RJ already told her that he wanted to meet her parents tomorrow so he could formally ask them for her hand in marriage. She was sure that her parents would be happy if not ecstatic when they hear the news. They've been pressuring her to get married for the longest time. Although she was sure this was also going to be a shock for them since she's never introduced a boyfriend to them and certainly she will have to die first before she tells them what the real reason for the marriage is.

Maine sighed as she thought about her dilemma. She had to inform them tonight about RJ's visit. He said that he would be coming over at lunch time tomorrow. After taking one last look at her ring, Maine took it off and placed it inside her jewelry box. She wasn't ready to let them know about the engagement yet. She'll wait for RJ to be with her tomorrow.

She left her room and headed towards the living room where her parents were watching television. She settled on the sofa and silently watched with them for a few minutes as she decided on how to disclose the news.

"Mom, Dad" Maine finally spoke up.

"What is it sweetheart?" Her mom asked as she turned away from the television to look at her daughter.

"We're having a guest tomorrow for lunch." Maine said as she fiddled nervously with the buttons of her blouse.

"Really?" Maine's mother lifted her eyebrows in surprise. "And who would that be?" She asked curiously.

"Oh, a friend of mine." Maine said vaguely. In spite of her closeness with RJ, her parents are not aware of their friendship at all. She had kept it from them intentionally because she knew that her parents would pester her more regarding the subject of marriage if they had a particular person in mind. It was best if they thought that she was not close to any person from the opposite sex.

"Is there an occasion that we're forgetting?" Maine's father spoke up. He too had a curious look on his face. Maine never had friends come over except for Joyce and Sheena.

"Umm..." Maine was lost for words.

"Is it a boy?" Her mom asked, her eyes sparkling with interest.

"Mom!" Maine exclaimed, her face flushing red.

"Well, then tell us." Her father prodded.

"Sort of." Maine mumbled.

"Huh?" Her mother had a bewildered look on her face. "What do you mean? Is he gay?"

"No!" Maine exclaimed in alarm. She gave a defeated sigh. RJ would kill her if her parents thought that he was gay. "Yes, a boy." She admitted.

Her mother's eyes lit up as soon as she heard Maine's admission. "Tell me." She asked excitedly. "Is he your boyfriend?"

A blush of pink stained Maine's cheeks. "Can we just talk about this tomorrow? I just want you to know that we're expecting someone tomorrow."

"Ugh, you're killing me sweetheart!" Her mother exclaimed in frustration.