Married Life

Maine's heart increased in speed as soon as she heard those words. Soulmate. Could Giuliana actually think that RJ was her soulmate? How could she even consider that when she only met them that day? Maine always believed in the idea of soulmates and in some ways, deep down, she believed that RJ was her soulmate. Having someone else, a stranger no less, confirm that to her caused a surge of hope rise up within her. Maybe it's not as hopeless as she thinks it is.

She took a deep breath before starting to speak. She was quite thankful for the darkness preventing RJ to see the expression on her face. "Oh, really?" Maine said as she tried to appear nonchalant about it. "That's interesting." Before RJ can reply Maine added "Well, thanks for telling me. That puts my curiosity to rest. Good night"

"Good night" She heard him whisper back. Maine wanted so much to see RJ's reaction about it. Based on the tone of his voice, she guessed he was surprised about it. He was never a believer of soulmates and it was a topic that they've always argued about.

On the other side of the bed, Richard lay still lost in thought as he contemplated on what Maine said earlier. He had to admit that he was quite surprised when Maine mentioned that word in Italian and he was even more surprised that it was Giuliana who mentioned it to her. Soulmates. That idea has never settled well with him. He was a cynic when it came to that. He and Maine would debate on that topic day in and day out but they would never reach a conclusion. She was an idealist and he was a cynic. They never met eye to eye.

Richard let out a soft sigh as he snuggled deeper into the comforter. He can feel Maine's even breathing beside him and sensed that she has already fallen asleep. He felt his body relax as he slowly drifted out of consciousness with dreams of his beautiful wife dancing in his mind.

The next morning Richard woke up and felt something warm and soft wrapped around him. He gazed down and felt his heart drop when he found Maine snuggled against him. Somehow, the pillow that separated them has been moved during the night and they've converged together in the middle of the bed. Maine's head was resting at the crook of his shoulders while her hand was placed against his chest. Richard on the other hand had his arms wrapped around her, his palms resting comfortably on her hips.

Richard didn't move as soon as he realized their position. He can hardly breathe. Maine's shirt had slipped down her shoulders revealing silky smooth skin and the hem of the shirt hiked up barely covering her behind. He felt something throb inside him. He was getting excited. He thought in alarm. If he doesn't get out now he was going to be a doomed man. Slowly and with utmost care Richard tried to disentangle himself from Maine. He felt her stir a little as he moved her head away but she did not wake up. He immediately stood up as soon as he was free. He immediately missed the heat of her body against his but it was something that he could not indulge in if he wanted to have his sanity intact. Richard gazed at Maine's sleeping figure for a moment before turning around to submit himself to a cold shower.

Richard and Maine were finally back in the country after spending three days in Italy. It was amazing how they have settled into married life quite easily. Richard has always thought that it would be a pain to adjust someone into your life but it's been easy doing it with Maine. They have developed a routine quite immediately and living together in one house has been a breeze. Most of the time they would live separate lives during the day with Richard being busy with the company and Maine with school. Occasional phone calls and text messages were their only connection to each other. However at night they made sure that both of them were home in time for dinner. In spite of having maids at her beck and call Maine preferred cooking dinner for the both of them and Richard had gotten used to having home cooked meals made by his wife. They enjoyed easy conversations at the dinner table letting each other know how their day went.