The Mother in Law

After three grueling hours of lunch, Maine finally ushered Richard out of the front door to bid him good bye. She had to hand it to him for being able to take her parents craziness in stride. Lunch, she could say, was interesting. Her parents had quizzed him about his life and his career. Actually, it wouldn't have been so bad if only her parents did not bring up the subject of grandchildren every chance they could get. Richard had appeared calm and composed but Maine knew that her friend was near his breaking point. She knew that marriage was something that he has yet to get used to. He does not need to be further pressured with the topic of children. Maine would certainly love to have children of her own but she wasn't sure about Richard and besides she had told him that their marriage would only be in papers, having children was highly unlikely to happen. Unless she considers Immaculate Conception that is.

"I'm really sorry" Maine apologized to Richard as soon as they were outside.

"No worries, I had fun." Richard said with a smile.

Maine rolled her eyes. "You don't have to pretend, I knew you were ready to faint back there."

Richard smirked. "Your parents were very interesting. I never realized how desperate they were on having you married off." He remarked.

His comment earned him a smack from Maine on his shoulders. "Ow!" He exclaimed as he rubbed his sore spot.

"That's what you get for teasing me like that" Maine exclaimed as she frowned at him.

"Anyways, I hope you're ready for our dinner later" Richard said, changing the subject.

Maine paled a little as she remembered about her meeting with Richard's mother tonight. "Does it really have to be tonight?" she asked nervously. In all the years she's known Richard she's never met his mother personally. Sure she had seen her on magazines and television shows since she was a very prominent person in the society but she's never met her face to face and she wasn't sure how Richard's mother would react if she found out that her son was marrying a plain pre-school teacher instead of someone of their status.

"Scared?" Richard continued his teasing.

"Actually, to tell you the truth, I'm frightened to death." Maine admitted to Richard.

He gave her an assuring smile and held her hand to comfort her. "There's nothing to be scared about. Don't worry." Maine just nodded. She still could not calm herself despite his assurances.

"I have to go. I'll pick you up tonight at six" Richard said as he let go of Maine's hand and headed towards his car.

"Alright." She replied as she followed him.

Before entering his car, Richard gave Maine another assuring smile. He leaned over and gave her a kiss on the forehead before driving off. Maine watched as Richard's car disappeared around the curb. She checked her watch. It was already 2:30pm. She had three and a half hours to prepare.

That night, Maine stood in front of her mirror to check her appearance for the thousandth time. Given her teacher's income, she could not afford the sleek and stylish dresses that she sees in the malls. In the end she settled for her trusted little black dress that she had worn countless of times and matched it with red kitten heel pumps. She had also slipped the engagement ring back on her left ring finger. She tied her hair up into a loose ponytail and placed minimal make up to accent her features.

Maine stared at her appearance and sighed. This was all that she could do. She hoped that it would be enough to please Richard's mother. As she was fixing her purse, she heard a knock on her door. She looked up just as her mother peeked inside. "Richard is here." Her mother informed her with a smile. "I'll be out in a minute mom" Maine said as she hurriedly looked at her reflection one last time before heading out the door.