Mixed Feelings

Across the ballroom the rest of their friends were intently watching the couple on the dance floor. Each one of them had a knowing smile on their face as they winked and nudged each other. Joyce on the other hand had an astounded look on her face as she witnessed the couple kiss for the first time. Without thinking she started making her way towards the dance floor intent on saving her friend.

Kris fortunately grabbed his wife by the arm before she could get any farther. “Where are you going honey?” he asked his wife.

“They kissed” Joyce whispered urgently.

“And?” Kris asked as he raised his eyebrows. He couldn’t understand why his wife was so fired up with the thought of Maine and RJ kissing.

“I have to save her.” Joyce pressed.

“From what? From kissing her fiancé? I don’t see anything wrong with that?” Kris countered.

“I smell love in the air.” Jerald commented with a smirk while Jake smiled in agreement.

Joyce looked at the guys in horror. Have they figured out that Maine is in love with RJ? Her best friend would never live this down. She has tried so hard to cover up her feelings for years.

“Do you think RJ is finally aware of it?” Jerald asked Jake curiously. Joyce’s heart dropped in fear. RJ knows?

“Aware of what?” Joyce asked as she gazed at Jerald and Jake.

“That he’s completely in love with that innocent best friend of his.” Jake answered her with a smile. He then turned towards Jerald. “I don’t think he is yet.”

“RJ is in love with Maine?” Joyce asked in amazement.

Jake nodded in agreement. “He’s been in love with her for quite some time now.”

“But he's a playboy!” Joyce argued. She wanted so much to believe that the guys were right about this but given RJ’s reputation with women she found Jake’s suggestion highly unlikely.

“I’m sure playboys are also capable of finding love. It just takes time for them to realize it.” Jake answered.

“So, you’re saying that RJ loves Maine but he does not know it yet.” Kris asked.

Jake nodded in response.

“But he already kissed her. I’m sure he’s realized it by now.” Jake countered.

“I’m sure RJ’s feelings are all jumbled up at the moment but I’m sure that he hasn’t yet been able to put a label on whatever it is he’s feeling.” Jake explained. “He’s convinced himself that Maine is a friend. I don’t think that he would just readily realize and accept that she could be more than that.”

“I hope he realizes it soon before everything ends up in heartbreak.” Joyce whispered as she turned her gaze back at the couple on the dance floor.

From the other side of the ballroom, Richard’s mother was standing in one corner holding a champagne glass in her hand. Her gaze was also fixed on the lovely couple dancing together and she had a satisfied smile on her face.

So far so good. She thought to herself.

She had to admit that she was quite surprised when RJ brought Maine to their dinner a week ago. Maine was a complete contradiction of everything her son looked for in a girl. And she was ecstatic about that. She has always known that her son preferred sophisticated and worldly women who were open to casual flings and one night stands. One look at Maine and she knew she was far from that at all. Maine was a sensitive and caring soul. She was the type to take relationships seriously and best of all she was in love with her son. She had sensed that during their dinner. There was something with the way she looked at her son that made her realize that. And she knew, though she was sure that RJ would vehemently deny it, that her son was in love with Maine too. It was unfortunate though that RJ had the tendency to be blind when it came to the affairs of the heart. He was lucky  she has a mother like her who was there to help him see that he had a good thing going for him.