Consummation of Love

Maine's heart stopped as soon as she realized what Richard's words meant. She gazed silently at him as he continued with his confession.

"I know I've always said that I am a person incapable of love. I have always kept my heart under lock and key careful not to let anybody in. But you, Nicomaine, you managed to slip through the cracks and break through my guard without me realizing it. I have never known love and because of that I didn't recognize it even if it was already staring right at me. I never thought I could be that stupid" Richard said with a sad smile.

"The week that you were away from me was absolutely hell. I felt empty inside as if I lost something very important. My heart was restless and I couldn't function right. I couldn't figure out what was wrong with me until my friends knocked me to my senses" he paused as he gently cupped Maine's face with his hand.

"What I'm trying to say is that I love you" he admitted tenderly. "I have loved you for a long time without really realizing it"

Maine could feel tears welling up in her eyes as she listened to Richard's words. She couldn't believe that this was actually happening. She's dreamed and hoped about this moment for a long time without actually expecting it to become reality.

"I'm ashamed that I had to bring you to a situation that compromised all that you believed in. You've always believed in happy endings, true love and soulmates. Because of me you had to give it all up when you agreed to marry me. I promise I will try to make up for everything. I can't promise though that everything would always be bright and rosy. I know we would have our ups and downs. All that I am sure of right now is that what I'm feeling is real and if you would give me a chance I would spend the rest of our lives proving that to you" Richard said as he looked lovingly into Maine's eyes.

"You don't have to prove anything to me" Maine whispered with a smile. Tears of joy were falling down her cheeks. "You know that I'm the kind of girl who's always been steadfast in her beliefs. You don't have to worry. I didn't compromise anything when I agreed to marry you"

Richard gazed at her with a confused look in his eyes.

"I wouldn't have married you if I didn't love you" she confessed softly.

Maine could not stop the blush that stained her cheeks as she finally professed the secret that she's been harboring for so long.

Richard felt his heart soar as he heard Maine's declaration.

"I can't believe we have wasted so many years" he said as he leaned over to rest his forehead against Maine's. He caressed her cheek softly with his thumb.

"That's okay" she assured him. "We have the rest of our lives to make up for it" she whispered.

Richard pulled away from Maine to take the ring out from the box.

"Do you accept my promise?" He asked.

"Yes" Maine whispered with a smile and Richard slipped the eternity ring against her wedding and engagement rings.

The horse carriage drew to a stop a few minutes later and Maine was surprised to find out that they were already in front of their apartment. Richard descended the carriage first and then grabbed hold of Maine's waist to hoist her down the side walk. Maine let out a small squeal as Richard lifted her up.

They walked together hand in hand towards the building where their apartment was situated. Her heart was hammering like crazy as they entered the lift to get to their penthouse apartment. She glanced nervously at Richard. He was busy watching the numbers in the elevator shift as they ascended from one floor to the next while he held Maine's hand possessively.