A Mother's Mischief

Maine was busy cleaning up her classroom after school was dismissed for the day. As she was sorting crayons and putting away the books that littered around the floor, her thoughts wandered back to her dinner with Richard's mother last Saturday night. She was surprised to find out that his mother was actually kind of nice. She may be a way bit too formal but she was not rude or overbearing. Maine had to admit that her meeting with Mrs. Faulkerson was actually enjoyable. She knew that RJ was extremely relieved that the dinner went well although he refused to tell her what his mother told him when she asked him to follow her outside. Maine observed that he seemed more relaxed and carefree last Sunday morning when he picked her up early so they could have breakfast together.

Maine was also starting to warm up with the idea of getting married in Italy. The shock had eventually worn off and now she was already excited about the prospect. She googled Italy especially Tuscany that night, after Richard dropped her off, and liked what she saw. She loved the vineyards and the quaint looking villas and she can't wait to get married in one. It was the wedding of her dreams. She's getting married to a man that she loves in one of the most romantic places on earth. Too bad it was all pretend.

As she placed the last book on the shelf, Maine turned to gather her things and placed them all inside her purse. She closed all the lights and after making sure that she did not leave anything, she finally left and headed for the exit. As she was walking on the campus, she noticed a big group of teachers and some parents gathering around an expensive looking car at the end of the driveway. Her curiosity heightened, Maine headed towards the group to see what the fuss was all about. Unfortunately, the car in question was heavily tinted and she had no idea who the passenger was. Just as she was close enough to the car, the door suddenly opened and a stiletto clad foot appeared. Eventually, the owner of the foot emerged and Maine was stunned to find Richard's mother looking straight at her.

"Maine, there you are. I was hoping to catch you before you leave." Richard's mother said with a small smile. All eyes turned towards Maine as they waited for her to answer. They all could not believe that Madame Faulkerson was talking to her, after all they were not yet aware of Maine's engagement to her equally famous son.

"Mrs. Faulkerson!" Maine exclaimed. She had no idea what to say. She was not expecting Richard's mother to appear in school at all.

"I'm going to do a bit of shopping today and I was hoping that you're free to join me." Richard's mother told Maine.

Maine wore an astonished look on her face. Did she just hear RJ's mother right? She wants me to accompany her in shopping? "I'm not busy tonight ma'am, I can definitely give you company if you want." Maine said as she managed to find her voice.

"That's wonderful!" Richard's mother exclaimed. "Well, what are you waiting for? Let's go?" She said as she looked expectantly at Maine.

Maine walked tentatively towards the car and the driver emerged in order to open the other passenger door for her. As soon as she was settled, the driver closed the door and headed towards the driver's seat. Mrs. Faulkerson was already comfortably seated beside her. Maine fiddled nervously with her bag strap.

"I'm so glad you can join me" the older lady said with a smile.

"It's a pleasure to be in your company ma'am" Maine replied shyly.

"I've always wanted someone to go shopping with me. Sometimes RJ joins me but it's not quite the same as having a girl for a company. I'm so glad I have you now. To be honest, I've always wanted to have a daughter." Richard's mother explained. "Don't get me wrong though. I love my son and I'm happy that I have him but I've also wished for a daughter for the longest time and at least now Richard gave me you."