The Separation

RJ felt his heart stop as soon as he heard Maine's words. What did she just say? Not quite accepting that he heard her right the first time.

"Honey, what did you say again?" he asked, his voice cracking as he tried to hide what he was feeling at that very moment.

"I'm leaving" Maine repeated what she said, this time in a whisper. She looked straight into his eyes.

Pain exploded instantly in Richard's chest. So he did hear her right the first time. He gripped the edges of the table tightly as he tried to remain calm and composed.

"You're leaving me?" he asked softly. His mind was all jumbled up right now and he couldn't think straight. He felt numb all over. He never thought that this day would come sooner. He thought it would at least take years before it happens. He remembered he promised Maine that she can leave this marriage anytime she wanted to. The time has finally come but much to his surprise he seem to be having a hard time letting her go. Just the thought of her leaving shot daggers to his heart.

"I'm going to New York" Maine said. She appeared to be calm and collected. She said it as if  she was just talking about something mundane such as the weather. She didn't seem to realize that Richard was ready to crack from the gravity of her news.

"Are you not happy with me anymore?" Richard asked softly. He knew he has no right to ask such question since theirs was not a regular marriage but he could not help himself. He wanted to know. He wanted to know very badly.

A confused expression crossed Maine's face as soon as she heard his question. "What are you talking about?"

"Are you leaving because you're not happy anymore?" He asked her again.

Maine looked at her husband with a baffled expression on her face until comprehension dawned on her. "You thought I'm leaving you for good?"

"Aren't you?" Richard asked as he shot her an accusing stare. He could not understand what was going on with him.

Maine watched Richard for a while before responding. She is now completely amazed with her mother in law. She couldn't believe how the older woman was able to accurately predict RJ's reaction.

"No I'm not." She finally responded with a small smile.

"But you said you're leaving." Richard couldn't hide the hurt expression on his face.

"Well, that's right. I'm really going to New York. But I'm coming back." Maine assured him.

Richard was not sure if he should believe her or not. His heart rate was slowly returning back to normal though but he still couldn't help but feel anxious.

"What are you going to do in New York anyway?" He asked warily.

"Well, mom has been teaching me about the arts and she suggested that New York would be a good place for me to experience different kinds of arts" she explained with a smile.

Richard was quiet for a while. Now that he was pretty much assured that his wife was not exactly leaving him for good he was able to focus more on the subject at hand. He had to admit that his mother was right. New York is a good learning experience for Maine.

"Honey, why don't you wait for a week or two? I'll just set my affairs in order and then I'll go with you" he suggested.

"I don't think mom will allow you to be away for a long time" Maine expressed her concern. "Don't worry, I can manage on my own."

Richard was a bit reluctant in sending Maine on her own. New York is New York and he was not sure if Maine can manage.

"Are you sure? You might have difficulty finding your way around the place"  he asked hesitantly.