Yes

Richard rested his hands lightly on the steering wheel as he maneuvered his car along the mid-morning traffic. Last night was an addition to the sleepless nights he's endured since his mom decided to turn his life upside down. He ran his hands through his hair. He was exhausted and every muscle in his body screamed for sleep. He was wide awake on his bed thinking about Maine's possible answer. All this waiting was killing him. He knew that he had to be patient but he can't help but feel restless. Part of him wanted her to say no. As her friend, he knew that she deserved better than what he was offering. But there was a big part of him that hoped that she would say yes. Not because it would finally solve his problem with his mother but because he knew that she was the best person to go through this with him. She was his best friend after all.

He stopped his car at a red light and as he waited for the light to turn green, he spotted the huge Tiffany and Co. store at the corner. This gave him an idea. As soon as the traffic lights changed color, he moved forward and tried to look for a parking space. A few minutes later, he found himself standing in front of the massive display window of the popular jewelry store. He gazed at the sparkling gems and intricate jewelry that were tastefully showcased. This is crazy RJ, he admonished himself. Maine hasn't even given her answer yet. But it never hurts to be prepared, just in case.

With a deep breath he reached for the door handle and let himself inside the store. Once inside, he scoured at the display cases tentatively, unsure of how to proceed next.

"Good morning sir, may I help you?" One of the salespersons behind the counter asked him with a gentle smile.

Richard smiled back. "I was hoping you could show me some rings." He inquired.

"Are you looking for a particular ring sir?" The salesperson asked as she led him to a display case filled with glittering rings.

"Um, I'm looking for a diamond ring." he said embarrassingly.

The salesperson smiled as she took out a tray of fine diamond rings and set it on the glass counter for him to see. "We have different kinds of engagement rings sir. Would you have an idea of what she would prefer?"

Richard was silent for a moment. He had no idea what Maine would want.

"Sometimes it helps if you describe her. What are her likes and dislikes?" The salesperson suggested with an encouraging smile.

"She's a very simple girl." he spoke up after a while. "She hates frills and ostentatious things. She loves walks on the beach, watching the sunset and gazing at the stars. She likes to curl up with a good book during rainy days and drinking hot chocolate when the weather's cold" Richard couldn't help but smile as he continued to describe Maine. "She's a hopeless romantic, still believes in fairytales at her age. She cries while watching dramas and smiles at the smallest things."

"Looks like you know her quite well sir." The salesperson commented.

"She's my best friend." Richard admitted.

"Judging from the way you described her, I think she would like this one." The salesperson recommended as she showed him a 1 carat emerald cut diamond ring that was set in a thin platinum band. Richard took the ring and examined it. The beautiful stone glittered against the light. It was classic and elegant, void of embellishments but with a touch of whimsical flair. It reminded him so much of Maine.

"I'll take it." Richard decided after a few seconds.

"Good choice sir." The salesperson said as she took the ring and placed it inside a blue jewelry box. After paying for his purchase, he thanked the girl and headed out of the store with the small jewelry bag in his hand. As he was walking towards his car, his phone rang.