Date in the Park

Maine pulled her coat closer to her body as she roamed the busy streets of New York. Her bodyguard discreetly walked behind her a few feet away. Maine wondered at first how he would act discreet with his black suit and aviator sunglasses but then she realized, much to her surprise that he would just fit right in since everybody in New York seemed to wear black all the time.

She strolled leisurely as she took in the sights while the the people around her rushed about intent on getting to their destinations quickly. If there was one thing that she learned about New York it was that the people there seemed to be always in a hurry. Maine couldn't imagine living her life like that. People were always on the go, walking briskly with their heads bowed down low. There was no time to stop and breathe, to sit on a café and enjoy watching people pass. It was as if the people there walked on a straight line and it would be a sin to deviate from it even for a second.

Maine has been there for two days and she has to admit that she was learning a lot. It was fascinating to immerse herself to a totally different culture. It was fun to discover how things could be very different from what she's used to and she has been trying very hard to veer away from her comfort zone and push her self to try new things. To be honest, she was starting to enjoy her independence quite a bit although it did not stop her from missing Richard so much.

It's been two days and RJ hasn't called her yet. She couldn't help but feel sad that he was able to ignore her that long. She was hoping that her absence would make him miss her a little bit. She tried to reason out to herself though that maybe he was just very busy in the office and didn't have the time to call her yet. Yes, it was better to think about it that way rather than to assume that he did not care at all.

Maine stopped walking as soon as she was in front of Central Park. She fell in love with the park the first time she saw it and made a promise to herself that she would pass by it everyday during her entire stay in New York. She found the park very soothing and enjoyed walking through the tree lined paths. She strolled through the park until she found an empty bench. She settled herself on it and contented herself on watching the people go by. She spotted several joggers and bikers who were making the most of the last rays of sun before evening finally settles in. A few people were walking their dogs while young lovers strolled by hand in hand.

Maine let out an unconscious sigh. She was sure that her husband would love to spend time here. They usually love spending a couple of hours in the park back home during Sunday afternoons. They would just let the hours pass as they sat on a park bench and talk about anything and everything under the sun. Sometimes he would buy her some ice cream and they would eat it under the shade of a tree.

Maine took her phone out from her purse and stared at it as if willing it to ring but much to her dismay it continued to stay silent like it did yesterday.

Richard was lost in thought as he strolled the streets of Manila very early in the morning. He was supposed to be in the office to finish some paper works but he's been feeling suffocated since he got up and eventually decided to leave the house early to take a walk and get some fresh air.

Richard was feeling very tired. He was not able to sleep much last night and the three cups of coffee that he took during breakfast did not help at all. He couldn't understand why he doesn't seem to be in the mood to do anything. He's always loved being in the office but quite recently he couldn't seem to think of anything to lift his spirits. That empty feeling that he felt has taken up permanent residence in his heart and he seemed to have lost all motivation to accomplish anything.

Richard slowed down to a stop as soon as he spotted the park that he and Maine visit during weekends. Without thinking twice he crossed the street and entered it. Richard took a deep breath and filled his lungs with fresh air. The trees that dotted the park has always brought a calming effect on him. He took a seat on an empty park bench and watched the trees sway gently against the wind.